Head work

Loswages05

Besides porting in polish what's a good thing to do to stock heads I got them off so why not and what should I look to spend

You're going to want better valves and stronger valve springs and you'll need to have the valve guides cut down to allow a cam with higher lift and the ability to use a Chevy valve guide seal.

I don't know that you'll need to remove a spring to tell. Are the valves original?

Last edited:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Product-Line/Manley-Viton-Valve-Stem-Seals/

Undercut valves for additional flow? Biggest gains will be in the bowls, and from the pic I saw it just looks like a mild port match. Replace all the valves since some(or all) of them have been caught kissing the pistons. Also, Jim Bell told me years ago that if the machinist doesnt know what you mean when you ask about cutting the guides down for .xxx" lift, grab your sh!t and get out of there.

Here

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    703.5 KB · Views: 173

The best suggestion I can give you is .. let someone that has VAST experience set your heads up... what I mean by this is ... sure the valves and bowls will get you power.. but there is just as much power to be had in OTHER areas that you can address that only a experienced guys will know.. and most won't share the information .. its worth the money
difference ... bolt on 20 hp compared to "BRAND X" ported heads

The best suggestion I can give you is .. let someone that has VAST experience set your heads up... what I mean by this is ... sure the valves and bowls will get you power.. but there is just as much power to be had in OTHER areas that you can address that only a experienced guys will know.. and most won't share the information .. its worth the money
difference ... bolt on 20 hp compared to "BRAND X" ported heads
Ya I understand that guess I'll have to ask around who deals with buick heads

Ya I understand that guess I'll have to ask around who deals with buick heads

I would think you would want to ask around for someone that understands AIRFLOW ... just because someone deals with BUICK heads doesn't mean they know airflow ( especially TURBO charged) .. lots of "BRAND X"
heads floating around that aren't the end all be all ... you would be surprised what the Indy / nascar motor guys know.. Its sick what they can do ... you can look at components all day and never see it.. but bolt the heads on and its very apparent ... they leave no rock unturned .. like I said well worth it