Header Gaskets Required?

DaySleeper

I know I have a leaking driver's side header gasket but I seem to remember these engines didn't even come with them originally. Can't I just delete it?

Yep. Pull the header and weld up the crack(s). then see if the gaskets you've been running have warped the header flange. If they pass.....

Smear a thin coat of orange RTV on both the head ports and the header ports. Give it a few minutes to skin over then CAREFULLY line the header up and tighten it STRAIGHT down on to the head ports. Don't let any corners or anything nick the silicone beads.

Hand snug the bolts evenly, then drink a beer while the parts get to know the new sealant. After the beer is gone, torque the header down working from the inside out.

the crossover seal is pretty much the same way.

Nice! That's what I thought. The headers have already been reinforced where they always crack so I should be good. Does it matter which beer I drink?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had 2 sets of remflex gaskets blow out on perfectly straight manifolds. I now use the Felpro 1400 exhaust gaskets. Half the price and available anywhere.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Have had the same set on my GN for 4 years. Car sees 24 lbs of boost every time I drive it. Probably over tightened them.

I've had great results with the 1400's.

The straightness of the manifold flange is the most critical characteristic no matter what you use.

Have had the same set on my GN for 4 years. Car sees 24 lbs of boost every time I drive it. Probably over tightened them.

Been in this game too long to make a rookie mistake like that. I read the directions and the posts about torqueing to 15 or 20 ft/lbs( I cant remember exactly) and made sure not to overtighten. I just have had better luck with the 1400s.

I used only a smear of ultra copper on a new set of TA headers and still no leaks after nearly 2 years. Glad I don't have gaskets there to worry about.

inmo you have to have deck thickness,i have tried it gaskets and no gaskets on the stockers trued them and still wouldn't last.went to the ta's with some orange rtv and they haven't been off the car yet with big boost and plenty of miles;)

While I'm waiting for my 1400 gasket, I can't help wondering if my lean cruise stutter and general popping and missing could have been caused by this leak?

I just put the TA stock replacement driver side header and crossover on with just a little goop and so far so good. Leak free at present and for the first time in years.

I used copper rtv and no leaks 1.5 years later. I did convert the bolts to studs with lock washers and flange nuts when I put the TA headers on.