HEI V6 distributor Q's

77amc

Good morning.

I finally found some of the parts from these V6's and noticed that the distributor is a two plugged one.
Can this be converted to just a regular hei by using a older module?
I can't seem to find ANY on the 'bay or in the yards around here.
But there is a couple that haven't gotten to yet.

The bushings in this one seem to be ok, BUT haven't tore it down yet. Just soaked/sprayed with Kroyil

Can the older ODD fire ones be swapped into the later even fires?

Thanks.
E

you can convert the 7 and 5 pin heI's to the standard 4 pin unit, however you have to get a new pick up and be sure its the correct Buick unit.

I dont exactly remember which is whic.. so im trying to find the data.

the odd fire one can physically be swapped in, but will require even fire cap and even firing order. as for its internals, the pick up needs to be replaced as it has the points for odd fire.

I will try to find my info on this... I kinda let it slip after I moved away from HEI.

A.j.

You need a non CCC distributor that was hei and vac advance. As A.j. said you can covert the CCC distributor to a older 4 pin hei, but the modules don't bolt directly in (least on mine) and you can modify the spade connector on the pickup or get the right one that fits the 4 pin hei module.

thats what I was thinking...

and like you said, the module wont connect right up... thats why I changed the pick up.

very cool... i was struggling to remember!

lMAO

A.j.

haha, Yeah time to dig into the brain archives... I do good for having burned by directory up lol.

If the distributor doesn't have a vaccuum advance both of them are correct. It can't be converted to use with an NA or early draw through. If you have a odd fire housing you can put the even fire pick up in it and use it but it doesn't work that well. The odd fire shaft has 3 points on it and the even fire has 6 so it can work if you have to. I've done it myself.

You need to find one for a 78-80 and go with it if you want vacuum advance and mechanicle advance.

Thanks again guys..

I'm on Vacation this week, so I can go 'huntn' after taking the youngins to get lernd..
Its' just that when the Chinese were buying up all the metal for their Olympic stadium, there were ALL SORTS of cars being scrapped out peeps backyards..
I'd be standing in line waiting for my check and watching all sorts of nice, usable things that my wife would kill me for bringing home, but once weighed, you then would have to barter with the "MAN" to get it..

SO, I'll try and do some diggin around and find one with the vac can.

Would any know if you can swap the vac cans out for better advance actuation? I had an older gent here that used to race the streets of Memphis back in the day, who got Kelly Davis (Performance Distributors) into recurving/fabbing distributors. He would recurve all my older GM stuff..
I wonder if he's still alive.. Started getting macular degeneration and couldn't see, so he got real scared to even answer the door.:frown:

He would dent the back (flat side) of the can with a punch to get the diaphram to pull more/quicker.

In theory, If I can find a heavier car say Riv, LaSaber or Caddy, that they might have a 'quicker' can.
For my 73 Chevy truck, he had ALL the advance in by 3000rpms, but my ol 72 Monte, he had it by 2800.

OH well, gotta git to church. E

WAIT a min..! Just thought again after re-reading.. This little 2500lb pickup would probably need it coming in just a little later.. MAN, I can't remember which it is.
Heavier = Sooner
Lighter = Sooner
I'm not sure when the mechanical adv starts to take over either.?
:confused::mad:

Get an HEI recurve kit for the weights. About $10 at most parts stores. As far as the vacuum advance, if you can find one from a Vega it has the lightest and one of the fastest out there.

stay away from those cheapo auto parts store weights.

they will drive you absolutly crazy with the way they will operate. the weights themselves are made form the most inconsistant metal ever and tend to "spin" funny.

so let me get this right...

this v6 is in a mini truck?

A.j.

From Aj. He's on his phone right now so he didn't feel like typing that much.

"Absolutely Im having issues with the Mr gasket ones right now. Just picked them up from AZ a week ago. Dizzy is a sbc hei on a hobby stock. Been driving me nuts for the last couple of days. Swapped in a set of stock weights that had been ground and restrict slot opened up and ran perfect on first try. Was surging badly on the Mr gasket brand. I reckon there just so inconsistent that you would have to go through a bunch of sets to get the weights to actually match well enough to not vibrate the spring at speed. I was gonna reply on the board but Im on my phone. so if ya wanna cut paste quote me go ahead charlie.

A.j."

From Aj. He's on his phone right now so he didn't feel like typing that much.

"Absolutely Im having issues with the Mr gasket ones right now. Just picked them up from AZ a week ago. Dizzy is a sbc hei on a hobby stock. Been driving me nuts for the last couple of days. Swapped in a set of stock weights that had been ground and restrict slot opened up and ran perfect on first try. Was surging badly on the Mr gasket brand. I reckon there just so inconsistent that you would have to go through a bunch of sets to get the weights to actually match well enough to not vibrate the spring at speed. I was gonna reply on the board but Im on my phone. so if ya wanna cut paste quote me go ahead charlie.

A.j."
I had problems with mr gasket kit also drove me crazy put stock weights back in car ran great. I used the springs form the kit, but thw weights are crap . Mt freind says to se msd kits, Mike

I had problems with mr gasket kit also drove me crazy put stock weights back in car ran great. I used the springs form the kit, but thw weights are crap . Mt friend says to use msd kits, Mike

I've used the Mr gasket ones for years and have never had an issue with them. We have had issues when the distributors are old and worn but with one in good shape we never have had an issue.

I DONT' KNOW WHAT KEEPS HAPPENING.. I GET SIGNED OFF AFTER JUST A FEW MINS.. AND Lost a whole big letter reply:confused: that I really don't feel like typing again.

Yes AJ, It will be going into a 88/89 Mitsubishi Mighty Max..
I've built it up some but, it was a 1-ton and I just cut the springs up front and it bounces me bad but handles pretty nice considering.
The build is on www.HotRodCoffeeShop.com under my same name.

I just got some long tube headers from DJ polzin and will utilize them out to some stacks out the bed.
I'm going to put a different 3rd member with a gear of 3.87 that a friend gave me but the bearings are 80/ea:eek: So that might be some time later.
It's got 3.07's now and this 2.6 that I rebuilt doesn't like the high gear (274 deg cam) and won't get out of its' own way. (well, not really.. but I've got to rev it HIGH for any performance)

Weather should be nice this week (calling for up to 71 by thursday:D) SO I can go hunting for a ol dizzy.

Thanks for the info. I'll try and dig around and see if I can get NOS pickups and such.
E

Aj has decided to drop off the face of the earth at the moment. If I can help I'd be glad to but my time is a little short now.

Thanks for the invite sir..

I'm kinda short now too. Gotta get this truck running (big 96 chevy) before the end of the month, haul some stuff to scrap, clear out the garage and weld in my hitch yadda yadda..

I'm not reall happy unless I got 10 irons in the fire and hundreds more planned.

I even found a nice (to me anyhow) 53 Caddy that's not too far and he only wants 5500 for her.. I'd love to get it and drop in this 472 in it with a 200r4, Powermaster FI, air suspension SSSiigh...

But that would be #6 and ony if I could trade my ol Massey F-40 High crop tractor I'd do it..

I'll go hunting this week some time and see what I come up with for the V6 dizzy. I need to go to this old gents place that's down in the hills. (dueling banjo's playin in the back)

E

You might want to go to your user controls and add a location. That would help you if one of the members on here is near you.

??.. I thought I did.. I'll do that right now.!

OH, btw. I found a 60+ Special with a V6 in it and nabbed that one. The lower gear is barely mared. So now it's off to find a Pertronics II or III that will fit.
OK, so on this one, there are the six raised portions. 3 sharp and 3 FAT.. The fat ones keep the points open for 4-5times the duration of the sharper points of the cam.
(I hope that this is clear enough) Kinda like this.. I_I_I_ if it were in a circle. The "3-points" as you state are the Underlines and the sharp points are the capital I's

I'll tear apart the other 7-pronged one when I get home and see if I can place this older odd fired on atop the magnetic pickups to scribe the correct high points to open the points and take a grinder to the flats before those points/raised sections. .. That make any sense?

E

Firing order on an odd fire is at 90 and 120 degrees. You can't change a points type distributor that way. Sorry. I hate to say it but just go to a parts store and buy one. Granted it will cost you about $120 but you get a garantee with it.