Heinz Prechter

kidsixpack

I thought that I would share with you the fact that during the summer of 87 I saw Heinz driving a GNX to work each morning. I worked at a little job shop just outside of the Island that Heinz lived on. My brother-in-law lived right down the street from Heinz. Well I was into GN's a and as I mentioned in another post a buddy of mine bought tree brand new that year. Anyway even when they were brand new I got a huge kick out fo seeing him driveing a GNX on a daily basis for that whole summer. I was told that he had one at the house that he never drove as well.
KID

Interesting.

Did you happen to notice if it had a sunroof? He had his company, ASC, install a one off sunroof in his personal GNX.

Interesting.

Did you happen to notice if it had a sunroof? He had his company, ASC, install a one off sunroof in his personal GNX.
I've heard abut the sunroof car too, but I don't recall if that was the car he drove. I did notice it dirty sometimes.
KID

Yes it is GNX 033 that was the GNX he drove and the only one he personally had....he did not have one at the house that he did not drive....if he did we would have put a roof in that one also...
DSCN0561.JPG
DSCN0548.JPG

i am going to clone my gn to that one specifically!
this is my favorite gnx!!

i like yours a lot too rick!!

So there was one gnx that did come with factory sunroof? 033

Not actually ...it was modified after it was built on the assembly line... back in the ASC tech center...

Don't know why Buick wouldn't allow a sunroof or T-tops to go into a GNX,look at how most of us have abused T-top cars at the strip ,launching with slicks on them with no problems.

The whole idea behind the GNX is that they were all the same, no orders, no different options. This had to have helped streamline the process of converting them at ASC Mclarren.

Bryan

# 464 had a sunroof also ☺

I wonder where it was installed; dealer, factory, ASC, other?

The sunroof on Heinz's car was installed at ASC and has a switch and other components that are different than a factory roof.

I wonder where it was installed; dealer, factory, ASC, other?

The sunroof on Heinz's car was installed at ASC and has a switch and other components that are different than a factory roof.
was not installed by gm

Dennis Kirban wrote the GNX's AND MOONROOFS article that is pasted below in this week's edition of his Inner Circle newsletter. It states that ASC did more than one moonroof installation. My post (#2 above) mistakingly stated that the roof in Heinz's car was a one off, and I also wrongly called it a sunroof instead of a moonroof. Per his consent, copied below is Kirban's article:

--- start of article ----

GNX's AND MOONROOFS -

It is thought to be 3 or 4 real GNXs, after they were purchased, did get a ASC moonroof. As far as I know, these were not done at the time the Grand Nationals were converted to a GNX. The most well known one would be the one Heinz Prechter the CEO of ASC had in his personal car collection. As many of you know, this GNX was sold a few years back at auction and now resides as part of Richard Clark's collection.

One of our customers, who bought several cars from me, has a GNX that came out of Georgia a few years back. It has an ASC moonroof. I happen to find this GNX for him. In the actual paperwork, there is a pink application for a title in the state of Michigan. The original selling dealership was Zubor Motors in Lincoln Park, Michigan. The car then was sold to Lindsey Hopkins III in Georgia. That was a Buick dealership in Atlanta during the 1960s and 1970s. He is also an Indy Race car team owner, who was inducted into the Auto Racing Hall of Fame in Indianapolis around 2004. This is probably the connection with McClaren racing that enabled him to get ASC to install the moonroof. The critical point is Steve (the new owner of this GNX) has all the paperwork to verify its lengthy history.

It's important to remember the ASC moonroof is slightly different than the GM installed moonroof, also referred to as an "astroroof." The size varies ever so slightly, as does the tint of the glass, from what I remember. Also, if it was a GM installed monnroof/astroroof, the code would be "CF5" on the trunk ID label.

The ASC roof option is a great tie in since ASC did the GNX modification for Buick. The value would not be as great, if the moonroof was installed by a lesser-known company and one that did not have any ties with Buick or ASC. With all the options being standard on the GNX package, this is one neat upgrade that makes a few of them stand alone among the crowd.

--- end of article ---

Thanks goes out to Dennis for the clarification.

Wondering which ASC facility did the installs. Rick probably knows. Way back when - I worked in Livonia (doing the...don't laugh...King Cobras' T-Tops); Southfield? (The Chrysler LeBaron Moonroofs) , and downriver..trying to remember...(Southgate?) the Trim Polishing & Finishing plant for the Eldos' trim.

Wondering which ASC facility did the installs. Rick probably knows. Way back when - I worked in Livonia (doing the...don't laugh...King Cobras' T-Tops); Southfield? (The Chrysler LeBaron Moonroofs) , and downriver..trying to remember...(Southgate?) the Trim Polishing & Finishing plant for the Eldos' trim.
I'm not sure where the GNX's were reworked, but ASC's headquarters was in Southgate. I knew a couple of guys th worked there when they were being made, but I never asked about them.
KID