HELP: inexperienced DS user

turbota633

just hooked up DS and it was actinf a little funny, i either would get "hardware timeout, retry?" message or after a reboot, i would get oddball values displayed..like 255 mph, 2000 rpm, and it would automatically start...as if it were triggered already. all the plugs were double checked for correct connections. thanks in advance.
-Joe

if anyone is willing enough, my phone number is 330-780-5511
thanks

two possibilities, either or you could have the plug pushed too far onto the PCM edge connector or the PCM edge connector isn't clean enough.

yep,i just didn't hardly clean enough of the film off for it to read anything. i didn't know you had to scrape and rub it so much, and with that much elbow grease, i almost was worried about hurting the ecm at first, i don't have a spare...but once the film began to scrape off, i felt a little better. THANKS for the advice,
-Joe

Wrap the ribbon cable in tin foil too. It will pick up interference and show erratic readings eventually if you do not do this. Do it now and forget about it so you aren't pulling your hair out somewhere down the road trying to troubleshoot a sensor that spikes or reads incorrectly.