Help Me Identify This ground Strap

TurboGH

It is about 1/8" wide braided metal wire running from the firewall (drivers side) and it appears to go down toward the blower motor and into the passenger compartment. Does this go to the ECM?

I am chasing a random backfire problem and I thought it may be a ground problem. The contact point of the wire in question did not look good at all.

Thanks

That is supposed to go the the trans bellhousing. Bolt at ~10 oclock.

Funny,
I think I have that same ground wire just hanging out too.
It is around the middle of the firewall with black tar over it and the end is just floating.

It makes sense that it goes to the tranny because I replaced mine a couple years ago.

What kind of terrible things can happen without this ground to the tranny housing?

There's actually two braided wires. One is closer to the LH side of the car and is much thicker. It goes from the firewall to one of the bellhousing bolts. There's also a very thin braided wire that runs from about the middle of the firewall (mine was covered in tar) and into the heater box. I asked about the thinner one here (check the archives) and I don't remember what the answer was. I do remember that it really didn't have anything to do with engine management.

Jim