Help! Unknown Material

Jay Nesbitt

Lurker Member
Does anypne know what the bushings for integral waste gates are made from? Im'm trying to rebush a TH type Downpipe.

Thanks,

J Nesbitt

When I built a swing valve housing for my turbo, I used a valve guide out of a Cat engine. It happened to fit the swing valve shaft and we had them in stock (since I work at a Cat dealer). Can't remember what the application was, but I'm thinking it was for a 3116 engine. I do know a 3306 engine has a 3/8" I.D. guide. We have them all stocked pretty close together and I just pulled drawers out until I found one that fit. Drilled a hole in the housing (1" plate stock) and turned the O.D. of the valve guide down to a press fit in the lathe. Chopped off what I didn't need for length, and drove it in with a hammer. Dunno if that helps or not, worth a shot. -Chuck

Thanks for the reply. Were your guides some type of bronze, as is common for gasoline engines? have you had any trouble with sticking? Do you lube? Was thinking a bronze, but decided the environment might be too hostile.....Ended up padding the shaft a little with E308 tig rod and reusing the old bushing..and lubed with nickel anti seize.. the bushing looked like a sintered or cast iron material.

JN

Most all the valve guides we have here are cast iron (I think). I didn't use any lube, or have any trouble with sticking. As far as long term effect of not using lube I can't say, other than it worked great for about 15K miles. Traded the car off and put the stock turbo back on. -Chuck

Sorry, but I bought it used as a THDP....so I can't say....I've noticed no id markings.

Thanks,

JN