Help with headliner

mwolfe1969

What is the best way to repair a sagging headliner? The liner is out of the car and most of the fabric is falling off of it right now. The board is in good shape. I thought about the 3M spray glue but wasn't sure if it would bleed through the fabric. Thanks for any help. mike

hey mike,
i did mine about 4 years ago, it's still perfect. here's how i did it. strip the foam and everything off the board. i found a fabric shop in town that had almost a perfect match to the original fabric (color and patern). get some sandpaper (40 and 80 grit), using only your hands, sand the board. you just want to get all the old stuff off, and give the glue something to stick to. yes, 3m is the best i've found. do like the can says, spray the board with 3 coats, spray the fabric with 3 coats, let it sit, and then bond it. after you have sprayed it and it sits, it will probably appear dry, but the glue will stick to itself. i had no problems with mine. i think (to get the fabric lines right), that i laid the fabric on the board, pulled half back over itself, and did it one half at a time, once the back half was done, i then pulled the front back over the back and sprayed it. then just work it out from the center. i hope that's enough detail, but this really easy.

Jax seat cover in Milwaukee sells a kit with the material and glue included. I did mine last summer and it came out great. Most importantly, is to get ALL the old foam off that you possibly can, and be sure to evenly coat the foam board with glue. The last thing you want is to see the headliner drop down because you missed an area when applying the adhesive. Don't worry about the spray soaking through, the foam on the new material is thick, and the supplied glue is sort of a contact adhesive, meaning it dries almost instantly, and makes the bond when the material is pressed back onto the board. Jax supplies a easy to follow instruction sheet as well. By the way, Jax can recover your sun visors as well if they need it.

Untill i get the gump to pull mine out, I just used some paint stir sticks an wedged em in tight...at least im ready to stir somthing up..lol

I used a garden hose on my headliner to remove the old stuff and it worked great. Just set the nozzle to the best stream that cuts through the stuff without hurting the headliner board.

When I re-did my headliner I ordered the kit from Jax seat cover also, it's not too bad a job.

I did mine a month ago, purchased the material off of ebay. It was around $40-50 bucks, came with enough material for me to do two headliners.... :D I have a T-top car. The hard work was in the preperation of the board, I used 100 grit sanding sponge, the sponge can get into all those tight contour's. Sand it once, rinse with the hose, then repeat getting all the left over foam. Let it dry out, measure out your material, and start glueing from the center out easiest if you fold the material in half and go from side to side. Once your done let it dry (I put paperback books on the flat part and bags of boil rice on the contours).. :confused: once dry, trim around the edges, and your ready for reinstall. All together it took me the better half of the day.