help with rim size and bs for ls1 brakes

dennis1993

looking to buy a set of welds for my t but not sure if 15s will clear brakes or atleast proper bs for them. currently im running 18x8.5 in front which were on car when i bought it not sure bs on them. my turbo buddy and i bought ls1 set up from some1 on forum just dont remember who??? he runs the 16" gta rims and it does clear(very close) any help would be great!!!!!

thanx

Dennis

No 15" wheel will fit unless it's completely custom made. You're stuck with 16" or larger.

thank for reply charlief1 by chance do you have any idea the bs or proper size for the 16s to clear the ls1s?

Look up the back spacing on the GNX and it should give you a better idea. I think 4-5 inches, but I could be wrong Dennis.

My weld 15" billet center pro stars XPs fit on ls1s, you need about a 1/2" deeper backspacing on the fronts cause it pushes the wheels out by about 1/2".

IF you put runners on the front (15 X 4), some brand wheels will fit. I have tried a few 15" combos with the LS brakes and have found the following to work/not work:
This is front AND rear observations, you can get away with a little more if you are running front LS brakes without the rear LS brakes. For most wheels anything wider than 15 X 4 on the fronts I highly doubt will fit.
Centerline REVs (15 X 4) will fit on the fronts. Rears will have to have extensive material on the calipers removed, less material to be removed if you run 1/2" spacers.
Weld draglite/prostar: rears will fit WITH a 1/2" spacer and/ or a little caliper material removed. (Sorry didn't have a chance to check the fronts) I would assume the fronts (15 X 4) would fit as they are made simular to Centerlines front runners.
Micky Thompson pro-5 wheels, rears will fit, fronts will not:confused:
These are the wheels I have tried, I'm sure there are others that would meet the specs.
I do know Bogart wheels will work, but you will pay for those, not cheap but are good wheels.
Here is a pic of my 15's on my car (15 X 10 / 15 X 4) with LS brakes on all 4 corners. And a link to how I got them to fit: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/brakes-suspensions-tires-wheels/280203-new-drag-wheels.html

HTH
Todd

Attachments

• 3-31-09.jpg
    3-31-09.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 136
todd first off car looks sweet love the rims!!! thank you so much for the great info as well as finding out for others (like myself) what works as well as what to stay away from with the ls1 brakes!!!

thanx again,

Dennis