Hey Brian/Gbodyparts!!!

I've sent him those links, I'll report back what he says. I'm already hunting myself down a good core just in case. :)

I am going to keep tabs on this thread. You a giving me bad ideas for my low milege spare stock turbo. Thanks- Brad

Does that 54 come in stock housings?

The wheels are the same as my PT61,just wondering what the difference was.

If he can put the bigger wheels in stock 84 housings then the wastegate should fit just fine.

I know Brian has 84 turbo cores handy...

Yes plenty of cores & I wouldn't mind getting a few of these done.

thanx!!

I think you guys just showed me what kind of turbo I have. I got my turbo worked on by someone that worked at innovative turbo about 3 years ago but never found out what kind it was or what size he made it. Now that I see those pictures I realize that is what he upgraded me to.

Haven't heard back from them yet, but I'm kind'of anxious. This guy seems to really know his stuff and isn't some yahoo saying he can do whatever I want just show me the money. Hes not going to bother if he has any doubts about the stock hot airs compressor size. But they have done a few of the buick carbed turbos, and he said they had plenty of room and had excellent results. (Aren't the carbed turbos and our 84/5 turbos the same size? not sure)
Which makes me wonder,... no way has this not been thought of before. Why hasn't this been pursued by the hot air performance enthused guys over the years? (or has it?) Is it because of the compressor and exhaust housings smaller but fatter size has more cons than pros when modifying? Is the taller/thinner 87 turbos way more efficient than the 84's shorter/fatter? Looks like the "less efficient" flow you get from the 84/5 turbos haveing to be clocked the way they are going to also apply to the 86/7 turbos that are added with adapters, being you have to reclock them also. and sure, you get pretty tight on clearance on the compressor side when you starting putting in the bigger wheels, but judging from the pics, you shoud at least be able to go alot bigger than a ta-33. (Theres also a good turbo comparison in the turbo section thats a sticky posted by royal-ltd) Judging from those pictures, the ta-33 would be better for modding for the bigger wheels.

No hood clearance issues for the turbo. no wastegate issues, no adapters needed. why hasn't this been done before? somebody help a dummy out. :p

I have a stocker that was stuffed and ran 11.65 on it. Yes it has been done before. It's just that particular person doesn't sound too interested in doing those anymore. Thus if this person WOT found does them then we have a new avenue to get this done.

I am certainly no expert, but from my reading I have gathered the following;
Fact is: The stock 87 compressor housing is more efficient than the stock HA compressor housing.
Most of the IC car owners have moved well beyond these discussions "What is the largest turbo available", since they have plenty of options available for turbo's.
The HA crowd has limitations in the compressor housing available and unless you don't want to do too much machining/welding, the TA style turbo is about it
(If you are resilient and want to keep it Hot Air ;) )
The TA33 is good to low 12's (for sure)

Moving on .............
So, a TA33 that is larger on the turbine side of the equation, (while in this example no longer a TA33), will perform better at higher RPM, since the boost / back pressure ratio of is smaller.
Some of the experts stated that (at times), the benefit between turbo's (to a point) is not from the compressor side, but from the turbine side of the equation. Just look at the chart.
Turbocharger Compressor Wheels

What am I trying to say anyway? :p
I "think" :cool: that a stock HA turbo with a larger turbine wheel/housing may provide higher HP output if it has the supporting mods.
If there "only" was a TA style turbo available that could put out 50-60lbs/min at PR of 2, we'd have a winner!! :biggrin:

They took a look at all the pictures and links I sent them.

They said it looks like they could do at least a 60-1 on the compressor side, possibly a GT61, and a stage 3 turbine on the exhaust side.

With the supporting mods, as jerryl pointe out, thats gonna blow the ta33 out of the water, would anybody disagree?

I've got some more questions coming from a reliability standpoint that I need to ask them, (which may determine that I may not go that big) but otherwise, looks like I may go for it.

Anybody got any thoughts?

reworking turbo

As I do not understand all I need to just yet, where will I be able to end up using my good Ta-49 as a starting point?
Mart

Yes you could Martin and then it would have the proper seal in it so when you get out of boost it won't suck your seals completely out of the turbo.

Turbo upgrade...

I'm getting ready to do the 87 ECM, coil/ign. module, MAF, MAT conversion--I'm going to keep track of this as well...turbo upgrade would be nice...:D :D

.........They said it looks like they could do at least a 60-1 on the compressor side, possibly a GT61, and a stage 3 turbine on the exhaust side. ........

The 60-1 Compressor / T3 turbine wheel combo would be the equavlent of a TA60 in a HA housing. Get that in a Dual BB config to assist spool and the 2800 stall should work ............ I think :tongue:

aha!!! are you making fun of me?:redface: much I have learned since I last visited this thread. the 60-1 compressor/stage 3 exhaust turbine combo is a T33 turbo. I am a fool for thinking that our uniquely clocked stock turbos have not already been hogged out as far as they possibly could be. makes sense why limit engineering wants your core when a t33 is ordered. For anybody wanting a T33, I would suggest buying a stock 84/85 core, or taking your stocker to your local reputable turbo shop (if available) and having them do the conversion, it will save you quite a bit vs. buying one from limit.
I, have bought a t33 local, and am having it gone through with all new parts. that will have to be good enough for now, but I am crossing my fingers, buying all the supporting mods, that I "think" I need, getting ready to do some porting, etc,..and am hoping to get into the 11's next spring with the t33.
to wrap it up, for those of us who are shooting for the sky, well... :rolleyes: I guess its back to the very first post of this thread. Lets get a good run of those adapters made up. I'm going to crawl back to my safe little hole now. :p

aha!!! are you making fun of me?:redface: .........

Nope. not in the least sense! Not my style.
Really just wanted to revive thie thread and see if you had any new info.

A 60-1 would be larger what is stuffed in a Ta33 ...... I think.
I still have no handle on this "trim" stuff, even after reading for some time now.
Fastest TA33 has gone around 12.1 in the 1320's.

That's the one going into the intake then you need one to bolt up to the throttle body as well. I'll check with my fabricator again this weekend.