Hey Joe/Bad trend, smog test for antique cars (merged)

Smog Nazis

That sucks!!

I was pissed off when I heard that they were not going to continue the rolling 30years as the criteria for determining exemption. Now it sounds like there is no exemption. It doesn't suprise me. Maybe I should register my car in Mexico. I figure we're giving all our benefits to them why not get something back.

Neal

Sounds like just another example of how the Governator is really just a Kennedy in a cyborg disguise. :mad:

Sounds like just another example of how the Governator is really just a Kennedy in a cyborg disguise.

HAHAHAHA

Neal where do you live? besides under a Buick. I know Morgan Hayden live about 2 or 3 mile from me.

Phil

Yet Mr. Terminator owns about 20 HUMVEE's???????

Maybe some of you guys in Cali are driving your classics more than just Sunday's??

Of course if I had sun all the time I would too.

Just saw this after arriving at work, so here is the skinny. Below is the chaptered assembly bill (following an interpretation of what it means:

"AB 2683

(Chaptered by Secretary of State 09/23/2004. Chapter 704, Statutes of 2004)
Lieber, et al. Air Pollution; Smog Check. Would, commencing April 1, 2005, exempt from smog check requirements, and smog check compliance requirements, any motor vehicle manufactured prior to the 1976 model-year. Would also provide that defined "collector" motor vehicles for which proof of insurance is submitted on that basis in accordance with regulations adopted by BAR, and that are at least 35 model-years old, shall be subject to otherwise applicable exhaust emission standards, but shall not be required to pass a visual and functional inspection of emission equipment, other than a functional inspection of the fuel cap and a visual inspection for liquid fuel leaks. Would, commencing January 1, 2005, expand the model-year smog check exemption to include motor vehicles 6 or less model-years old, unless ARB determines that including the 5th and 6th model-year vehicles in the exemption would prohibit the state from meeting the requirements of the federal Clean Air Act. Would, commencing April 1, 2005, apply the model-year exemption that is applicable to vehicles registered in this state to the initial registration of vehicles previously registered outside this state. (Would repeal the 30-year rolling exemption.)"

This basically says that defined collectors (35 model year or older, not us, maybe my chevelle) cars will be subject to a gas cap inspection and liquid fuel leak test. It also says that the 30 year rolling exemption will cap at model year 1975 and earlier. This means our cars will forever be in the Smog Check program, unless there is legislative changes. The 4 model year new car exemption is moved to 6. So new cars are exempt from smog check for their first 6 years. Some news agencies reported the bill wrong by saying 30 years or older would be subjected to Smog check, while in reality it should have said the 30 year rolling exemption would come to an end and only those vehicles model year 1975 and earlier will be exempt from Smog Check.

the article is misleading. The Bill doesn't require smog testing for "antique" cars.

It eliminates the rolling 30 year exemption. Basically, cars with cats WILL ALWAYS have to be smogged. Those without, don't.

Sounds like status quo, to me.

Please see the "Hey Joe" thread in the Smog check section for an explanation and clarification, because in a nut shell you guys are overreacting and the local news agencies reported the news wrong.
I'm going to request that an administrator merge this thread with the "Hey Joe" thread so I don't have to go back and forth answering the same topic.

Threads are now merged and UNGN is correct. 30 year rolling is eliminated and only 1975 and earlier are exempt and new cars are exempt for the first 6 years. For those that have new cars, IMHO I would get the vehicle tested any time the emissions warranty is due to expire.

Joe,

Thanks for the clarification. I knew you could give us the straight scoop. I'm glad it isn't as bad as we initially thought.

Neal

Joe,
I am the Association of California Car Clubs deligate for my car club (Trans Am Club of America, Golden State Chapter) and have been in constant contact over this latest law and future laws.

Currently, I am hearing the legislature is looking at yearly smog tests for the old cars. It has not yet been communicated what years will be effected. A.B. 2683 is just the start...:mad:

The ACCC's web site is: http://www.acccdefender.org/

- Dave