Hi pontiac 301T

Hey Charlie,

Yes the rpm is about 2800 -3000 with about 7-8 lbs of boost at that point, really understanding the factors for the convetor. The change in almost no lean bog definatly gives a good kick then the tires lose the battle. Before with the lean bog the secondaries didn't hit like it does now, I can only get a couple pulls then the heat soaking sets in, Reed is sending me a prototype housing blanket to try.

later Kevin

Cool This is looking better and better. Once you get a new converter I think you might scare yourself with the power it will produce.:D

Hi Guys,

Is there any way of running the MSD with the stock knock retard instead of the BTM?
around town I can use 1/2-3/4 * boost retard but there is knock at high rpm 2nd and 3rd gear, but if I set it for 2nd 3rd gear I have some backfire though the carb. I tought if I used the stock timing retard with Msd 6 box life would be easier. I found this, it says that it can be done...?http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/im-back-let-the-wrenching-begin.318457/page-7#post-2520695 reply #123

thanks Kevin

That one of the reasons I got the 6A and a seperate BTM Kevin. If either goes out then I can run 1 of them until I get a replacement.;) Since yours is a combined unit you should be able to dial the timing retard to 0 and it wouldn't effect anything.

Hi Charlie,

I am positive that if I set the btm at 0 the stock knock retard does not work and I could only run 20* of timing. It is a real pooch at that compared to 28* and then pull timing.
So can I make my MSD work with the stock knock sensor to pull the 8* out?

thanks Kevin

If the BTM is set to ) then the sock unit should be taking over. You need to see if it's working right or not Kevin. The BTM isn't supposed to overide the stock unit unless you wired it wrong.

Hi Charlie,

went on the MSD site to get some advice but I am a newbie so have to wait for info how to correct the problem.

anyone else have ideas on how it might have been wired wrong.

later Kevin

one thing I noticed when using the BTM with the factory 5 pin HEI module is that it will require a diode to one of the terminals. The same goes for a regular MSD 6A if not, usually on decel you get knock and backfires. However, I dont see how the BTM is a bad thing... its the same function (just electronically) of the old retard timing canister. Its a function of latent heat thats causing the knock. all in direct porportion to the compressor housing. alot of little variable add up to one pain. plus the 5 pin HEI module barely carries more than 4 amps..... which makes it scatter real bad at upper rpm and high boost.

I think another issue is that the factory knock control isnt fast enough. early on in the buick motorsports program they had standalone knock controlers that were based on our exact unit. The problem was, that as soon as engines were making more power and turning higher rpm the controler could no longer keep up. and those units were allllllll scrapped. ask any of the stage 2 boys who still uses one. nobody.

remember were dealing with Atari level of data processing. 2-4 bits per second.......... now shove all the knock data down its throat at 5500rpm...... do you still have faith?

Hi guys,
I was thinking about my wot 10-1 AFR and so I looked at how deep the secondary rods sit in the rod seat and with the stock k hanger the rods sat up more than 1/16'' so bent a spare hanger to basically make the rods seat, seal in the carb body.

the result is a second of 10-1 AFR then it leans to 12.0-1, a little lean but didn't go all out with. in first gear i didn't even have to have it to the rug and the car was fishtailing:) Still more tuning to go but still getting closer. tonight would have been the best show so far.

I will still try to fine tune the BTM.

Was going to do my video today but the baby had a fever over the weekend and was in the hospital staurday till this afternoon, so it has been a bit disorganized and rain for wednesday.

later Kevin

Now if you can get it to mid 11's then you should be safe and blow the tires away at the same time.;) How fast were you going when the car started fishtailing?

Hi
I tried calling you tonight Charlie, man are you elusive..;) how you doing?

it all happens when the secondaries open up and the boost rolls, 30mph, 2800-2900rpm. I almost think the sec. of rich condition might not happen when the higher stall convertor goes in.

I really notice when everytnig is heat soaked though, power loss

later Kevin

With the weather in the last week my phone has had issues. I actually got 1 text 3 days after it was sent.:mad:

Right now tweek the hanger back up ever so slightly and see what ou get. If you're in the 11's then leave it there until you get the new converter in it. That will also change the AF ratio.;)

Hi Guys,

Well it was a busy day, a new oil pan, rear main viton seal and 10'' torque convertor is installed..:)o_O Just whooped now, a buddy and I managed to get it almost done. I till have a couple hours left putting up the drive shaft, starter, exhaust, put the carb and turbo back in place.

The old seal was the rope syle and I can totally see why it was leaking.

so glad that is done, the rear seal has been leaking lots for 4 years.

later Kevin

Hey Guys,

Did a run yesterday, the touque converter is what it needed!
cool.gif
It does feel spongee when your accelerating in town, 0 boost is 2600-2700 rpm

I can brake boost and smoke the tires easily now and I had just launched from a stand no brake, the tires were loose right away and spinning hard in first gear shifted through second gear so I let off doing 25 mph maybe, then got back on it and the tires were smoking again.
grin.gif

and I still have a oil leak
cry.gif
20 some hrs changing that seal, the oil looks dirty that dripped on cardboard but has golden looking oil on the dip stick , weird.

later kevin

Get some dye for the oil and a black light will help you find the leak.

I take it that the car's a bit more than you expected now?:D

Hey,
the car is definatly what I was hoping for!:)

So I am totally iliterate on electrical and I am trying to understand the knock system, I read this thread but I don't understand. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/good-management-system.384034/

so is there any thing out there that is reactive timing retard for my car, btw it has the PEVR system and ESC only, I don't think it has a ECM as talked about in the thread above.,

thanks Kevin

You car is basic Kevin. The ESC is the most puter your car had and I've talked about seeing if a later ECM set up could be used on the 81 but never ge=ot any response as to whether it would work or not. Once minTia gets back to me about it you may be albe to upgrade to a better system but right now you've got a knock retard system even if it's really old tech.

hi,

It was running better a couple weeks prior but cold weather set in and didn't seem to be running quite right and had to lift half way though 2nd gear. there are 3 videos on this, just learnt how to uplad so hope it works.

later Kevin