High-output Coil Packs

unix_punk

Does anyone have info that shows that a HO coil from say Caspers or ESP is actually better (and worth it) than the OE ac delco? Need a new pack and am debating on going OE or HO.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Does anyone have info that shows that a HO coil from say Caspers or ESP is actually better (and worth it) than the OE ac delco? Need a new pack and am debating on going OE or HO.

Thanks in advance for any input.

i think i remember watching conley run "tweeked" in the mid 7's over ten years ago with a stock coil pack---------that sort of settled the subject for me----------the coil pack can only output power that is input to it by the ignition module and several years ago i did some testing on the modules and there is current limiting built into its driver stage----------there is a practical limit to how big a coil it can actually power................RC

I am still waiting for Full throttle to finish testing the individual LS1 style coil system for our cars. Mike has it set up on their test car. From what I understand, the LS1 guys are making around 1500 HP with their stock ignition system and that's good enough for me.

HTH
Prasad

Heh, I am waiting for that also, i dont expect it to be cheap though. :) Caspers is the only reasonably priced HO coil that I found so far. I ordered a stocker from nos4gn so I will just be running that.

All's I can say is my plug wire fell off with my car running with a stock ignition, was throwing a 1.5 inch spark that messed up my a/c line. If oem is cheaper I'm sure its good enough.:eek:

I am waiting for Mike to bring out their kit, coil on plug will be great let alone stick a box on it. ;)

Check out the Accel coilpack summit sells. Reliable and I have read about many who are using it with ZERO issues.

I picked up a new delco one for a steal, thanks for the suggestions. That accel one is the same price as caspers, wonder which is better. :)

i think i remember watching conley run "tweeked" in the mid 7's over ten years ago with a stock coil pack---------that sort of settled the subject for me----------the coil pack can only output power that is input to it by the ignition module and several years ago i did some testing on the modules and there is current limiting built into its driver stage----------there is a practical limit to how big a coil it can actually power................RC

"Tweaked" has been 7's numerous times with the STOCK coil pack. I just recently ditched it in favor of a more powerful MSD 7AL2 with distributor but don't let anyone tell you a stock DIS ignition is a weak link. The waste spark of the stock setup isn't pretty or efficient at high RPMs but it gets the job done. The key is to make sure you have a good ignition control module, low impendence plug wires and that the coils ohm out between 11-15k ohms.

ho coilpack

I heard a while back that RJC is coming out with a dual coil set up. It is still in the testing phase the last I heard.

Ya I talked to Jason, not an option yet. So far the delco has been good, only have it on spring pressure though, so about 10-11psi, still need to boost leak test before it gets tuned.