HOOD INSULATOR

klmnla

Watson LA
Several of the GM parts site have the GM 25525977 under hood insulator for $165.00 Im sure its an 8-hole with no graphics. Is this to way to go for a replacement?

Unfortunately I think that's our main choice unless you hit EBAY or someone on the board comes up with one from stash.

The OEM 8 hole on EBAY is set @ $900? + shipping (no small amount). Until someone comes up with a aftermarket piece the plain pad is just fine for my pocket. There used to be a guy selling aircraft insulators but I think copyright enforcement got him. I'm not sure that was a durable replacement anyway.

I think there are several vendors that sell Monte/Cutlass/Regal/Grand Prix pads tthat are pretty basic but might serve the purpose. Some people do some creative stuff on the underside too - like paint to match, air brush, attach reflective lightweight polished stainless, brushed or painted aluminum panel etc.

No lie JOE! Just not worth even close, but some guy who has done the TOTAL resto to OEM, maybe.

That person might be doing something that matches up all the stickers, tags and labels that came on the Turbo Regal as it left Flint or where ever. He may want to go over the top and completely go 'concourse' (define that for everyones satisfaction if you can). He or she may want to go stock or stock appearing. He might want a total time machine to take him back to the 80's. More power to'm.

If I spent that money on a hood pad there would be NO money for gas & groceries for a while. So anyway a nice clean replacement is COOL. Creativity is COOL. Even using the old pad is fine just the way it is. Just keep the Regals on the road.

I just called the local Buick dealer, and they want $327.00 for it. I can order it from the GM parts sites for $165.00, and will probably go that route. I got away with removing and washing the insulator a couple of years ago with no issues. I just washed it again, and all the layers seperated. It basically fell apart. :(

GMpartsdirect dot com shipping is high. Listed the pad as $140 and S&H as $136 - I suppose because pkg. size and transportation cost increases - GEEZ - oh well - no freebies I guess.

I wonder how the plain pad would take paint. If I had an old one to practice on, it might be worth a try.
Good luck.