Horn Relay Location

Larry L.

San Antonio, TX
Anyone know where the hell they hid the horn relay on a 84 GN? Trying to get this beast inspected but without horn I'm out of luck. I looked everywhere I see the driver side dash and behind the kick panel, no luck. Any insight would be great. Thx.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Apparently it is behind the dash on the left hand side. Has three terminals on it, with a red, dark green, and a black wire going to it.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Apparently it is behind the dash on the left hand side. Has three terminals on it, with a red, dark green, and a black wire going to it.

RemoveBeforeFlight
Thanks, So do you think I should remove the dash cluster to get to it? I'm a big boy and can not get under the dash to well. Bud Lite [emoji12]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I really don't know if that will help or not. I just did a test to locate it in my '87. Unplugged the horns and pressed on the horn button. Relay clicks are coming from behind the defroster switch to the right of the steering column. Looking up into that area and it is packed. Chime module, CC module, VSS buffer, flasher relay, I couldn't even see the horn relay from below.

If someone with an '84 or '85 can do the same test that would be helpful. I don't believe that the '84 & '87 have them in the same location. Info I have states for the '84 & '85:

Behind LH side of I/P

While for an '87 states:

Behind Center of I/P

RemoveBeforeFlight

I really don't know if that will help or not. I just did a test to locate it in my '87. Unplugged the horns and pressed on the horn button. Relay clicks are coming from behind the defroster switch to the right of the steering column. Looking up into that area and it is packed. Chime module, CC module, VSS buffer, flasher relay, I couldn't even see the horn relay from below.

If someone with an '84 or '85 can do the same test that would be helpful. I don't believe that the '84 & '87 have them in the same location. Info I have states for the '84 & '85:

Behind LH side of I/P

While for an '87 states:

Behind Center of I/P

RemoveBeforeFlight
Ok, well my relay is stuck closed horns blow 24/7 I have disconnected them, but they are fried, drained battery. All Jacked up, anyone else have any ideas please let me know before I take it to the shop for this pretty stupid problem. Thx

Anyone heard of it possibly being behind the Kick Panel on the drivers side? I looked but didn't tear out the insulation, may its behind there??

Probably not but you never know. What's needed is for someone with an '84 or '85 to disconnect the horns and listen for where the relay clicking is coming from.

Although, with the relay stuck on there may be an issue with the horn switch wiring. Either under the steering wheel or the wire from it to the relay. Attached is the wiring diagram, click to enlarge:

Horn_84-85.jpg

RemoveBeforeFlight

The factory alarm option can trigger the horn relay, aftermarket alarm possibly as well.

The convenience center is where the chimes and the horn relay are located and it's buried behind the defroster switch area between the steering shaft and the radio, along with a ton of other stuff....

That's on the 66/87 cars but I've never heard that other years had different locations and wiring for that stuff.

A bad ground on the horn ring/button wiring in the steering column will lock the horn relay on as well. :(

The car was just sitting parked one day and all if a sudden the horn just started blowing, the only thing to do was to disconnect the battery, I tried the alarm reset, nothing, bang on steering wheel, nothing.
Do you know if it is a cube 3 prong spade connection type relay.
This is really frustrating! Thx. [emoji86]

If it's the alarm the lights would flash as well if working like the factory intended.

I'd bet on the horn ring and wire shorting out to ground keeping it on.

Rarely do those type of relays go bad but I guess the contacts could melt closed somehow.

I think it's a plug in relay but I doubt it's a standard one.

I'd pull the steering wheel off first and check the horn ring wiring and it's mounting/attachment.

If it's the alarm the lights would flash as well if working like the factory intended.

I'd bet on the horn ring and wire shorting out to ground keeping it on.

Rarely do those type of relays go bad but I guess the contacts could melt closed somehow.

I think it's a plug in relay but I doubt it's a standard one.

I'd pull the steering wheel off first and check the horn ring wiring and it's mounting/attachment.
Thanks, I'll do that next.

Original Owner 1984 GN