Hot Air exhaust pipe

jonjski

I need the Y-pipe from the convertor to the mufflers for a 85 HA. They still make a pipe for the 86/87 But say it won't fit a 84/85. Has anyone tried to interchange these pipes or have one from a parted out car?

Thanks

Their not interchangealbe because the cats where differant. A factory 86/7 cat will not bolt up to your stock 84/5 down pipe. Looks like you may have to take it to a shop to have a little custom exhaust work done, unless you have the proper tools to do yourself. thats about the extent of my knowlede I can add. Some of the other guys that swing by here may have a source for 84/5 original exhaust parts they could recomend

Y pipe reply

I spoke with Walker exhaust tec department. They didn't know why the 86/87 was different, it has the same cat, same pipes over axle. They said without the blueprint in front of his he did not know the difference, may be a brace in the way or the hangers were different. Long story short I have ordered a 86/87 y-pipe and will see if it fits tomorrow. I think it may work. The ordering book at the muffler shop didn't show a hanger on the 86/87 and my 85 has a hanger at the convertor. I'm hoping that is the only difference. I don't know if the hanger on mine is orginal because I bought used. If this works out for me I will post the maker and part #'s for furture use.

here is a cat for a factory 86/7 exhaust. Does this look like it will bolt right up to your exhaust? the y pipe bolts up to the 4 bolt flange to the right (as your looking at the pic

convertor reply

Kes it looks like the one on my car. I have a extra convertor from a donor car.

I installed a Kenne Bell exhaust on my 85 in the early 90's. You have to weld a flange to the back of the 85 converter and then you can use the 86/87 exhaust. The flange I used came with the Kenne Bell system.

flange

Thanks for the idea. I went to the muffler shop today, without any luck. The pipe they had didn't match up with my convertor. I went to a steel supplier near me and got a plate of steel. I made a adapter plate today. I have to wait till monday to see if it will work. Till then the beast sets another weekend.
Thanks

I need the Y-pipe from the convertor to the mufflers for a 85 HA. They still make a pipe for the 86/87 But say it won't fit a 84/85. Has anyone tried to interchange these pipes or have one from a parted out car?

Thanks

When i purchased my exhaust pipe from summit racing, i picked up the hooker catback system, it clearly states for '86-'87 GNs, installed it on my '84 GN, everything bolted straight up in the factory position no problems, only modification i had to do was weld the flange from the downpipe to the test pipe, hope that helps :smile:

Y pipe reply

Thanks for your info. I have made a adaptor plate to weld to the back of the convertor, then the pipe should mount ok. I will find out Monday afternoon.
Thanks

Hot Air Y-pipe installed

Well it took me 5 days of trial & error's but I had the pipe installed Monday. It turned out quite well. I keep my conveter, had to modify the pipe to fit to the conveter and buy two pipes that go over the axle. All said and done $265+ change got me back on the road.

Thanks for your input, john