Hotair to Intercooled Conversion questions?!

MiamiGranny

Ok will ive got a 1985 GN, i would like to convert it to cold air.

I would like to keep a/c and p/s do i need 86/87 spec lines?

Besides Getting the 86/87 engine harness, i also have 86/87 heads, intake mani, exhaust manis, turbo, intercooler electric fan and ECU, fuel rail, injectors. Is there ANYTHING else That i need to do or get to make it turn key?

From my research i have come to find that the only thing that differes are the plugs for the coil. Is there anything else im going to need Electrical/mechanical wise?

I just want to have all the parts ready so i can do this in one shot without having to wait for any other parts.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Conversion

Sorry but this has been covered a gazillion times........how about using the search feature. Besides those words are blasphamey in this forum. Don't you hear the crickets?????

Pete

Welcome aboard in the hotair section

I can understand your want for knowledge about the subject you made your post about.

Some people have a problem about people who wish to turn their hotair cars into intercooled cars just to make them go fast.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ho...318940-great-thing-about-icd-conversions.html

So I wouldn't expect a bunch of help unfortunately. There are some good articles on here about converting to an IC'd setup and technically you are posting your question in the "correct" area.

I say until your car has an intercooler on it, it still is a hotair.

Their beef is you're posting about an intercooling question in the hotair area.

Anyway enough about them, I will try to help you with your problems wherever you post so ask away it's a free country.

As posted above the sticky on top of the page then look at #55. There are all the parts needed. You will also have to drill and tap the oil return hole in the block or take it back down to the oil pan.

Jerry jr.

Wow Thank you very much for the help. seems as if im going to have plenty fun -_- lol
I can understand your want for knowledge about the subject you made your post about.

Some people have a problem about people who wish to turn their hotair cars into intercooled cars just to make them go fast.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ho...318940-great-thing-about-icd-conversions.html

So I wouldn't expect a bunch of help unfortunately. There are some good articles on here about converting to an IC'd setup and technically you are posting your question in the "correct" area.

I say until your car has an intercooler on it, it still is a hotair.

Their beef is you're posting about an intercooling question in the hotair area.

Anyway enough about them, I will try to help you with your problems wherever you post so ask away it's a free country.

As posted above the sticky on top of the page then look at #55. There are all the parts needed. You will also have to drill and tap the oil return hole in the block or take it back down to the oil pan.

Jerry jr.

Thank you very much for the positive words.

My plan is to go little by little getting all the parts i need before i do the conversion, but might as well just buy and 86/87 spec block and build from there..... By next week i should have a complete 86/87 motor.. After that its time for some pistons, rods and bearings. Any reccomendations ?

Sorry but this has been covered a gazillion times........how about using the search feature. Besides those words are blasphamey in this forum. Don't you hear the crickets?????

Pete

Well i figured since afterall, this website is a site for turbo buick enthusiast i would post the question here... But will do Pete, will do.

"Besides those words are blasphamey in this forum."

Not true...

Some of us began "Hot-Air" and progressed to intercooled.

Yes... "progressed." :)

Some of us also did it with no assistance or guidance. We were told "just buy an '87 motor, and install it." I do chuckle about it now. I wasn't back then I assure you. :biggrin:

Welcome to the Turbo Buick group!

Not true...

Some of us began "Hot-Air" and progressed to intercooled.

Yes... "progressed." :)

Some of us also did it with no assistance or guidance. We were told "just buy an '87 motor, and install it." I do chuckle about it now. I wasn't back then I assure you. :biggrin:

Welcome to the Turbo Buick group!

:biggrin: thanks man, I keep hearin the same thing about buyiung an 87 motor ect. Now heres another question, if i put some work into the original heads & block, upgrade the turbo and injectors and install an intercooler while running an 86/87 ecu, do you think i would be able to hang with the 86/87 spec with the same mods/tuning? Just trying to figue this out.

I know the valve clearance and other things differ from 84/85-86/87, i wonder if it would make a difference.....? Thanks For all the positive feedback everyone.

if youve pretty much all the 86-87 parts that you're building, what happens to the original engine, that is, if you're going to go for the 86-87 engine block build?

cuz i think some members here would like the entire HA engine lol.

The hot rod parts are pretty much the same...

You will need a bigger fuel pump, injectors, ported heads, bigger turbo (not much choice for hotair), but the biggest bottleneck for hotair cars is definitely the intake side of things. The throttle body is small, and restrictive and the intake itself is full of twists and turns and in my opinion is not very efficient.

If you convert over to the 86/87 full setup then you can go as fast as what you buy parts for.

You will be traction limited by the time you get all those mods done anyway.

Good luck

Jerry jr.

if youve pretty much all the 86-87 parts that you're building, what happens to the original engine, that is, if you're going to go for the 86-87 engine block build?

cuz i think some members here would like the entire HA engine lol.

If I do the complete swap I still plan on keeping th original Components just cause' lol.
You will need a bigger fuel pump, injectors, ported heads, bigger turbo (not much choice for hotair), but the biggest bottleneck for hotair cars is definitely the intake side of things. The throttle body is small, and restrictive and the intake itself is full of twists and turns and in my opinion is not very efficient.

If you convert over to the 86/87 full setup then you can go as fast as what you buy parts for.

You will be traction limited by the time you get all those mods done anyway.

Good luck

Jerry jr.

Well i guess I might as well just swap the motors.... Ive already got everything from the head up, i just need a shortblock with all the components/brackets to go with it.. Either that or i have to tap the blockorftting on th oil pan for oil return. It just eats me up at the fact that oil breaks down the hoses used for the oil return line. Is there any other alternative oil return lines that wont rot from the oil? if so im just going to do that.

If you have a custom hose maker in the area...

They have a hose that my dad is using for a remote oil filter on an old truck we're working on. It uses push-lok connectors and it is high pressure, high heat and oil resistant. The guy we bought it from says he sells it all the time for use on tranny oil coolers. It looks like it works great. We test fired the motor with the filter setup on it, and the hose held up fine.

I would just ask for push-lok oil resistant hose wherever they make hydraulic hoses near you.

Good luck,

Jerry jr.

They have a hose that my dad is using for a remote oil filter on an old truck we're working on. It uses push-lok connectors and it is high pressure, high heat and oil resistant. The guy we bought it from says he sells it all the time for use on tranny oil coolers. It looks like it works great. We test fired the motor with the filter setup on it, and the hose held up fine.

I would just ask for push-lok oil resistant hose wherever they make hydraulic hoses near you.

Good luck,

Jerry jr.

Dang Jerry thanks for ll the helpful info, sorry i couldnt write back to your message, its giving me an error..

The injectors, fuel pump and heads for the SFI turbo cars is the same. The fuel rail is obviously different though.

Good luck,

Jerry jr.

If you go to a Parker brand hose distributor get the "836" blue pushlok hose. It's good for 300psi at 300 degrees:eek: and has a PKR inner tube that'll handle damn near anything including methanol.

I've used it for fuel, tranny fluid and oil plenty of times, and I've plumbed up plenty of local sprint cars methanol fuel systems with it.

As far as the turbo oil drain goes you can also tap the fuel pump block off plate that's on the drivers side of the engine by the crank sensor. Tap it for 1/2" NPT and get a tight radius 90 degree fitting and it'll clear.

I can take a pic of mine if you want to see it.

As far as the turbo oil drain goes you can also tap the fuel pump block off plate that's on the drivers side of the engine by the crank sensor. Tap it for 1/2" NPT and get a tight radius 90 degree fitting and it'll clear.

I can take a pic of mine if you want to see it.

Please do, It will be of great help!

Here's the oil drain.

The hose is Purosil -10 silicon hose. Go to the hydraulic shop and look thru all of their 1/2" NPT to 5/8" (-10) hose barb 90 degree fittings and find the one that's the biggest inside. Some of the high pressure rated fittings are significantly smaller inside because of the additional material thickness.

Attachments

• parts 002.jpg
    parts 002.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 447
  • parts 003.jpg
    parts 003.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 445
  • parts 004.jpg
    parts 004.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 457
  • parts 006.jpg
    parts 006.jpg