how big turbo

turbogus

i have a 274 cubic inch motor and a art carr 3500 non lock up conveter.i want to know how big of a turbo i should get.p s it is street drivin

i have a 274 cubic inch motor and a art carr 3500 non lock up conveter.i want to know how big of a turbo i should get.p s it is street drivin

The biggest I would go is a new Billet 76 if you are going for big power and can run a BB. A better street turbo would probably be a 6765 or HPQ.

What other supporting modifications do you have?

Honestly, it's really going to depend on your definition of street manners. I will assume your converter is either a 3500 Art Carr 9" or maybe a Vigilantie 9.5" ?
Are you trying to make 650hp on 93 pump gas and have quick spool up? Or are you trying to make more in race gas tune and are willing to change your converter if need be?

With your size motor, pretty much the sky is the limit when it comes to hp below 1000.

A very nice street turbo that would just completely rip the tires loose, would be a Billet 71HPQ with the air cooled ceramic dual ball bearing cartridge and a .85 A/R 3 bolt turbine housing. That turbo can support 975 flywheel hp when maxed out. It would have the capability to make 670-700 hp on pump gas boost levels easily, depending on intercooler selection and brand of pump gas.

If you were wanting to make more power on pump gas boost levels, you would need to step up both the compressor wheel and turbine wheel. This would also require a set of headers with a T4 inlet flange, as well as a converter upgrade.

The Billet HP7675 with the dual ball bearing cartridge and a T4 1.12 A/R turbine housing. It has a larger GT42 style compressor cover and turbine housing design, so your configuration would have to change slightly. This turbo can support 1200 flywheel hp when maxed out. Spool up characteristics would be very different between these two models.

Let us know more about your hp goals and we can give you more recommendations.

Patrick

Billet HP7675

Would be nice to see if a picture of this. Sounds like a PTE version of the GT4276 (updated 76GTS)?

76HPS BB tangential 4 bolt .81. You could use a little more cam but nothing wrong running that one but it will be harder to couple the converter with the smaller cam.