How does the white NSS/backup switch mount on the column?

gusszgs

Hi all, I was hoping someone could enlighten on how exactly the NSS mounts on top of the column. I noticed I had no back up lights after doing my trans swap, and began searching. I found a few threads on this but nothing describing how the white switch actually mounts to the column. I was under the dash after work tonight and my switch is just flopping around loose up there. Somehow the switch has popped loose and come out of its proper location. Maybe I did this while doing the trans change, not sure, as the back up lights always worked prior to this.
It's quite tight working down there and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be but I could not for the life of me get it to go back in. Am I missing a screw or something? Screw loose maybe :) Or does it just clip in there? TIA

Jim

no screws , just pops on

Ok thank you, Is there an alignment pin or something that the body of the switch has to sit in? Thought I read on a post that they needed to get some pin to fit in the switch prior to mounting. Maybe I misread it

They are a pain to get back onto the column. It just clips into place, no screws or such. Note the tab that protrudes from the bottom of the switch assembly. That goes into a slot in the inner column tube that rotates.

Once the stars, sun, and moon align the switch assembly just drops in and clips into place. Getting the alignment is the tough part. I've been known to spend 5 minutes, then a 10 minute break, then another 2 minutes with a 15 minute break. Eventually alignment occurs and all is good.

Once installed can move the upper part of the switch to adjust it. It clicks/moves left and right.

Note that our cars don't have a NSS (neutral stop safety) switch. The contacts are for the reverse lights and a P/N signal to the ECM. In ours cars the NSS feature is a mechanical lockout of the ignition switch tumbler built into the column.

RemoveBeforeFlight

So once the switch is installed properly the car should not start in gear? I bought one from Autozone and I have the feeling it is not correct or not installed properly. Any part number I can use if I need another one.
Thanks
Jeff

Thanks to all for the replies.
My switch is just hanging there and the car still starts in P & N but will not in all other gears, so it's operating the way it should. I just have no back up lights.
I'll wrestle my large type frame under there and try to get it back to its proper home again. This otta be fun

Thanks to all for the replies.
My switch is just hanging there and the car still starts in P & N but will not in all other gears, so it's operating the way it should. I just have no back up lights.
I'll wrestle my large type frame under there and try to get it back to its proper home again. This otta be fun

I know what you mean. Push comes to shove it is only a few nuts to remove the drivers seat. And if power a connector.

RemoveBeforeFlight

So once the switch is installed properly the car should not start in gear? I bought one from Autozone and I have the feeling it is not correct or not installed properly. Any part number I can use if I need another one.
Thanks
Jeff

This switch has nothing to do with whether the starter cranks the engine or not...

RemoveBeforeFlight

Again thanks to everyone that replied to this. I got home tonight from work and backed the car out of garage and got up under the dash. Felt like I was playing Twister for gods sake lol.
Anyway I think I got extremely lucky or this is not as hard as I was prepared for it to be. I think lucky. I was only under there a minute and it just snapped into place perfect. At first, I didn't think it was in, but it felt good and solid and it did not move when I tried to wiggle it. I still really don't know how it actually clips in but I just centered it up the best I could by eye and it clicked into place. Dragged myself out from under there and put the shifter in R and BINGO, we have reverse lights. They work perfect from park and neutral.
Thanks guys