How expensive is Chicagoland?

slow87

I have a potential job in Chrystal lake, but don't want to jump into things if I can't afford it. I'm wondering how expensive things are out there.
Like rent for a single bed room apt?
How are utilities incase it's not included with rent?
Is car insurance higher?
Most important where is the nearest Portillo's?:smile:

I live work in McHenry. I'm not sure about the rent. As far as utilities and car insurance they are normal. Crystal Lake is a nice town but not a ritz town. As far as Portillos you're in luck. Its on the corner of 31 and 14. Also there is a Hooters right down the street from there. There are other members on board from Crystal Lake that probably give you more details.

I just moved to Oak Lawn with my g/f. We got a 1 bedroom (16x12), 25x16 living room, nice kitchen, two bath one with double sink, walk in closet, heated garage for 1 car, we pay $1200/mo includes water and trash, we pay gas and electric which is like $100 mo. That's about the going price for a 1 bedroom in this area. Nice town too.

I grew up in Crystal Lake, it used to be a nice little town but now it's like Schaumburg. Traffic-laden suburban sprawl with more SUV's and soccer mom minivans than most could stomach. Living is very affordable in the surrounding areas. Towns like Wonder Lake and Marengo are within 15 miles and have cheap apartments available for less than $700/mo (probably much less). I know a 22 year old gal who is working part time and going to school and getting by just fine living in an apartment out in Wonder Lake. But hey don't worry too much, if you move out this way you'll have plenty of Turbo Buick friends and 3 great drag strips within driving distance and there's lots of cruise nights just about everywhere in the summer.

Check here for classifieds:
Northwest Herald - Local News and Video for McHenry County, Illinois

I have a potential job in Chrystal lake, but don't want to jump into things if I can't afford it. I'm wondering how expensive things are out there.
Like rent for a single bed room apt?
How are utilities incase it's not included with rent?
Is car insurance higher?
Most important where is the nearest Portillo's?:smile:

Call a local realtor or go to REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale They list rentals there. Have a local paper sent to you, or pick one up. Good information there, too. It might be worth a drive over to the area you're looking at, so you can gather some intel. Call your insurance agent and talk with him/her about rates for the Chitown area you're looking at. Network with your local motorheads. Do some research and you'll get all your questions answered and more. Also, you'd be surprised what you find doing some searches online. Good luck.

Thank you for the information, and suggestions. Crossing my fingers all goes well