How is this true?! Vornado first hand.

gnXfan

GNless but Debtfree too!
My neighbor is a car guy. Does a lot of his own work, oil changes, etc. He drives back and forth to Florida (from NJ) often.

Takes his Dodge Caravan and gets 17 mpg.

He put a Vornado in and the last trip - 23mpg!

This is the first person I have ever known who actually had one. a 6mpg increase. I have read its a restriction, its a scam. But he is an older guy who writes down EVERY fill up.

OK - I am now very intrigued and am going to try it in my honda too.

Don't you mean a Tornado? If so..
sorry. Impossible..
This works on this guys car cause he wants it too cause he was stupid enough to spend $50 on it. If anything, it will hurt your gas mileage.

It's pretty easy to explain. The vornado creates a restiction in the air intake that reduces the amount of air that gets to the engine. The less air used, the less gas used.

On the dyno in commercials, the vornado make more HP because it is at an RPM below peak HP. A restriction in the intake track can increase low end torque while sacrificing peak HP. Since HP is torque X RPM, if you measure HP at the area of higher torque, HP will also be higher (though peak HP could be reduced big time).

Originally posted by FlyinGN
Don't you mean a Tornado? If so..
sorry. Impossible..
This works on this guys car cause he wants it too cause he was stupid enough to spend $50 on it. If anything, it will hurt your gas mileage.

Frank,

No, vornado. www.vornado.com
same thing though.

I thought the same way but he even answered me - wtf would I care about the 50 bucks?! He had carefully detailed notes as to fills and mileage too.

Originally posted by gnXfan
Frank,

No, vornado. www.vornado.com
same thing though.

I thought the same way but he even answered me - wtf would I care about the 50 bucks?! He had carefully detailed notes as to fills and mileage too.

He got 6 more HP by installing a room fan? Pr was it the dehumidifiers? :D

Originally posted by FlyinGN
cool! how am I gonna fit that in my intake tract tho?? LOLOL

ok - you got it :) - j/k but he did purchase the tornado, yada yada yada (see above)

He got 6 more HP by installing a room fan? Pr was it the dehumidifiers?

No, that's the electric supercharger.

Did the neighbor change his route and get better MPG? I know when I drove my SC from Indiana home to MS I got great MPG. It was MS Delta driving the whole way--perfectly flat, no hills. Got like 29 MPG on a tank. Haven't hit that again.

Mileage....

Yup...when I WAS married....We took the "T" up to NC from Orlando. We would make this trip like 5-6 times a year. When I drove I got 17-19MPG on the highway. When she drove she got like 23-25MPG!!:eek: I think the car just liked her more!! But that OK....I got it in the divorce!! She got the Typhoon though:(

Originally posted by GN One Day...
No, that's the electric supercharger.

Did the neighbor change his route and get better MPG? I know when I drove my SC from Indiana home to MS I got great MPG. It was MS Delta driving the whole way--perfectly flat, no hills. Got like 29 MPG on a tank. Haven't hit that again.

no, same route, straight down 95

and he's done the trip 5x this year, back and forth

sure, it'd be nice to see those numbers repeated on the next trip, still, stunning