How many are set up "tuner" style...

Boston GN

Curious how many run their wastegate like this. I set mine up like that and am curious what you did with the wastegate solenoid. Did you leave it plugged in and the vacuum port open or plugged? I've done searches in the past and believe you keep it plugged in and vacuum port open. I just wanted to double check.

TIA

Originally posted by turbot2112
vacuum port open and keep plgged in or check engine light comes on.

I did the same thing here when the car was setup tuner style.

Originally posted by 87grandnat
can someone explain "tuner style" to me

Connecting the vacuum line from the turbo directly to the wastegate actuator. This bypasses the factory wastegate solenoid as installed from the factory.

To adjust your boost level, shorten the wastgate rod to INCREASE, and vice-versa..... :)

this "tunner style" is fine up to a certain boost level. (about 16psi) after that, you have the wastegate rod so short that you use up all of the travel just hooking it onto the puck arm pin. This creates a bunc of boost creep.

The best and one of the cheapest ways to have steady boost control is with this.

http://rjcracing.com/RJC_Buick_Products/BoostC/boostc.html

it is simple but it works great!

yes that does help it raises the "no creep" boost setting higher.

every car is different depending on wastegate puck hole size ect. but for instance with the stock actuator anything over 16# of boost you start to get creep. with the HD actuators anything over 20# you start seeing it.

does this make sense?

yes, because the spring in the actuator won't typically open until 18 lbs or so....thus you can control higher boost without a lot of tension on the arm

there are many folks out there using this type of boost control with no problem (in fact, everybody with an ME or FAST is using this method or an external gate.....)

and many use devices like Jace mentioned in addition to the internal WG

I run my car tuner style with a HD actuator on the PT61 but I have had my housing ported to eliminate the boost creep for the MOST part. I do notice it creeps up maybe 1 lb on the very very top end but to me it's not a big deal because the progressive alcohol system compensates for it...I was also not able to run no lower than 18 psi of boost with the rod as long as it could go with putting some kind of tension on the puck...my boost holds rock steady throughout the runs tuner style compared to the factory solenoid setup...

Woody you can also use the stock style stuff with a BSTC controller stand alone with the ME chip, that's what I used with good success.

Dual solenoids and a HD actuator if you need high boost and large range of control.

No creep also. :cool:

right.....stand alone boost controllers can also be used if they don't depend on the ecm for input (in the case of the ME, FAST et al)

Originally posted by d0n_3d
I run my car tuner style with a HD actuator on the PT61 but I have had my housing ported to eliminate the boost creep for the MOST part. I do notice it creeps up maybe 1 lb on the very very top end but to me it's not a big deal because the progressive alcohol system compensates for it...I was also not able to run no lower than 18 psi of boost with the rod as long as it could go with putting some kind of tension on the puck...my boost holds rock steady throughout the runs tuner style compared to the factory solenoid setup...

I have the same exact combination of things except I have a bleeder from ATR as well. Works fine, no creep (not enough to worry about anyway). With the HD actuator and the stock solenoid setup I couldn't keep it under like 23 PSI. It was nuts. I've also eliminated the stock "y" - just a regular "y" now.

Jim

I use the " Greddy Profec B " Sweet piece! Taffy on this board sells them----much safer than " Tuner " style. Brian

Originally posted by Dusty Bradford
Hey Jason, how does your boost controller work on an external wastegate like a HKS GT gate for a turbo SBC.

yes it will work on any diaphram/spring operated wastegate.

Hey sorry to barge in on this post, but a question....

I have, in the past, unplugged the wastegate solenoid (the electrical connection only) and get the SES light.

Yesterday I tried it and no SES light after plenty of 16 psi WOT blasts. Is this right or do the vac lines need to be removed for it to come on?

Thanks
Chris

FWIW,
I used to run the adj WG rod style, I bought Jasons boost controller and it made life SOOOO much easier, and, as it sdays on his site, it DID help my turbo spool faster. It was a noticeable reduction in lag time.
IMHO, it works great adn is 10 times easier to adjust than the rod.
I was running mine on a HD actuator and a TE44, its going on my TE61 as soon as the car is back together.

Will it work

Will this work???

Install a pressure switch so that the w/g solenoid doesn't see any voltage or boost until it reaches a preset pressure say 20 #'s (boost) then the switch would activate and w/g solenoid would go into action, handled by the ecm. Very similar to Jason's valve only electronic actuated.

Whada ya think??

HOW

When you have the HD actuator and want to install the Boost controller do you pre set your existing adjustable rod to a certain PSI before controlling the boost? I've got the valve and am anxious to install it.
I run a constant diet of 100 octane and 20 psi with the adjustable wastegate.:cool: