How much improvement on bigger Intercooler for stage 2 car " FEAR"

Quint

Hey guys, just wanted to get some opinions on this, since "Fear" my stage 2 GN has been running a much smaller intercooler, meant for the old set up with a 76 size turbo, rather the the PT 91.5 it has been using? My car is currently with Arizona GN, good old Nick and we want to get as much power and tune out of the car as possible to get solid 8's out of her. My car weights 3600+ with me in it and Nick and the guys already know of the big bad intercooler they are going to use. I just want to know what you have seen in changes like this to the power. from my understanding the smaller one I have now is not keeping the inlet teps where they need to be to push all the power it suppose to be making once i get above 20#'s. We all know that if its bad air coming in and you have your car set at 28#'s, than the car isnt making an honest 28#'s, so through the run its effecting everything. I am going to sell the current set up that Nick will put online soon. But its only 6 months old and has about 20 runs on it, so pretty much new. The piping is unique, so you would probably have to get better fit pipes, but nothing else. I would need between $400-500 for a pretty much new intercooler, built by Precission for a 76 turbo. Thanks

Why not go air to liquid?

What about installing an air to liquid intercooler? Or look into further cooling the pipes of your existing with water. I have been toying with the idea of wraping my inlet pipe with a copper coil that runs into a seperate tank that circulates cold water/antifreeze or super salty water. Just a thought.

I have seen some cool air to water setups, but they look expensive and have alot of custom work done.

Joe

Personally like the Garret cores. I was seeing 114F through the traps on my 8.58 pass and it was 81F outside.

Why not methanol or ethanol?

You can get a lot of hp without the IC on methanol, just have to get BIG injectors and they can be custom made today.

You should be able to pick up considerably if your IATs are junk now.
I have a precision/garrett air to air rated at 1700ish HP in my garage.
Keep in mind your turbo will flow enough air to make 1600HP so make
sure that you have enough intercooler for the job.

Thanks John, is your Ic for sale and how much, if not is there an IC that if up to the task that you recommend, that isnt so pricey, or do I just need to spend the money? I would like to get an hardly used one ready to rock if I can that will be good choice for my turbo:biggrin:

Hmmm, I ran 128 in the 1/8th with a powerstroke IC that's been cut in half with 114deg outlet temps in 100 deg weather. With an air to air IC I think it's all in the "staging lane prep". Liquid IC's are much more predictable but I guess it's all in how much you wanna spend! (and plumb);)

BTW- Long burnouts affect temps drastically.

scott wile

Hmmm, I ran 128 in the 1/8th with a powerstroke IC that's been cut in half with 114deg outlet temps in 100 deg weather. With an air to air IC I think it's all in the "staging lane prep". Liquid IC's are much more predictable but I guess it's all in how much you wanna spend! (and plumb);)

scott wile

114F at the 1/8th or 1/4? How much boost are you running?

scott wile

What did the car weight???

Your trucks ~3000lbs race weight is not a good reference for a 3700 car.
At that weight the car would have to make over 100 HP more to run the same MPH.

Thanks John, is your Ic for sale and how much, if not is there an IC that if up to the task that you recommend, that isnt so pricey, or do I just need to spend the money? I would like to get an hardly used one ready to rock if I can that will be good choice for my turbo:biggrin:

I guess everything is ultimately for sale but I am not going to take
anything away from Nick, I am sure he will take care of you.
Plus it is hard for me to let my stage project die...

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. Nick has and Jan have gotten the direction they want to take her, so I'm leaving it up to them. Thanks again

If it is a drag only car put in the liquid to air intercooler (PT1500) Your air temps are to high @ the 1/8 now 114deg , For best results your temps should be below 110deg at the end of a 1/4 mile. Air temp. managment in a drag racing will keep you consistant from round to round, allow you to run more boost & timing without detonation. If your air temps are to high your plugs will look lean even with the correct target A/F raito, Get the air temp down and the plugs will look good, motor will be safe.

If it is a drag only car put in the liquid to air intercooler (PT1500) Your air temps are to high @ the 1/8 now 114deg , For best results your temps should be below 110deg at the end of a 1/4 mile. Air temp. managment in a drag racing will keep you consistant from round to round, allow you to run more boost & timing without detonation. If your air temps are to high your plugs will look lean even with the correct target A/F raito, Get the air temp down and the plugs will look good, motor will be safe.

Thanks for posting Dale!