How much RWHP to get into the 9's

Results from October Dyno Session
Street Stuff
633 S. Addison
Addison Ill.
We had great weather for our fall session and great turnout. thanks for all that came out to see the demonstration of Buick performance

Owner . . . . . . . . . . . Car . . . . . . . . . . . HP . . . . . . . . . Torque
Jon Samuel . . . . . . . . Grey '68 w/455 . . . . 307.8 . . . . . . . 375
Jeremy Race . . . . . . .intercooled 85 GN . . .228 . . . . . . . . .631 (TV Cable trial proved to have false readings)
Loyd Bonecutter . . . . . Blue 86 V6 Regal . . . 387 . . . . . . . . .398
Bill Grupp . . . . . . . . . Green GS 455 . . . . . 365 . . . . . . . . .386
Paul Brelie . . . . . . . . . 86 GN . . . . . . . . . . 320 . . . . . . . . 349
Jason . . . . . . . . . . . . 85 GN. . . . . . . . . . .404 . . . . . . . . .413
Bob Ward . . . . . . . . . LC-2 Porsche . . . . . .309 . . . . . . . . . 400
Scott Pitts . . . . . . . . . 87 GN . . . . . . . . . .269 . . . . . . . . . 284
Dan Rocco . . . . . . . . . Blue 72 GS 455 . . . . 371.7 . . . . . . . 369
Steve PItts Jr . . . . . . .87 GN . . . . . . . . . . 542 . . . . . . . . . 480
Pete Van Tholen . . . . . Red 70 GS 455 4spd . 383 . . . . . . . . . 450
Steve Pitts Sr. . . . . . . 87 GN . . . . . . . . . . 606 . . . . . . . . . 584

We had a big surprise with Scott Pitts buying a great looking GN purchased the day before. Steve Dickerson was our only causality frying his ECM plugging his data logger in.

The staff at Street Stuff worked their butts off getting our cars through in record time. They did the driving due to insurance reasons inside the building as the dyno was off to one side. Definitely thinking about going back. For those with pristine seat covers you might want to bring some towels to cover them, but all that had their cars tested had no problem with the arrangement.

Vid...race vids :: SANY0027-2.flv video by Beth-Dana - Photobucket
Pump gas/alky or race gas? Or were all the TR's using pump gas/alky?

on Brad Brand's dyno, 649 hp and 3300 lbs with me in it @ 27 lbs of boost did 9.70 @ 135+ @ bg last year.

ok going to the dyno on wednesday,, what will it dyno??

3.8 stage 11
T/A heads
83 pound inj,, champion raylls
XFI
3.5 dp
champion inteck
224/224 roller cam
HPQ 70
big black intercooler

stage 3 200r4 from extrem automatics
3.5 aluminum drive shaft
3800 stall converter
running 24-26 lbs of boost with Q16
I think im forgetting lots of things..

what will it dyno??

I'm gonna say with 30psi and VP Import 630 RWHP that's if your Champion inteck is programed correctly. :p Good luck Ralph I hope you see the numbers your looking for buddy. :)

ok going to the dyno on wednesday,, what will it dyno??

3.8 stage 11
T/A heads
83 pound inj,, champion raylls
XFI
3.5 dp
champion inteck
224/224 roller cam
HPQ 70
big black intercooler

stage 3 200r4 from extrem automatics
3.5 aluminum drive shaft
3800 stall converter
running 24-26 lbs of boost with Q16
I think im forgetting lots of things..

what will it dyno??
About 700hp if you have decent port work, compression over 9:1, 23* timing, and cam timing nail down. Id say 20-30hp more if its a solid cam and the combo was built around a solid cam. Without alky you will be working the injectors fairly hard especially on Q16.

Thanx to jeff and mike for helping with my car.

pulls
1. 91 octane with methenol 15.5 psi timming 21* 540 rwhp
2. same 551 rwhp
3. same 558 rwhp "NOT BAD" very happy

I opened the exhauset and put 5 gallons of Q16 turn the boost to 20 psi 548 rwhp
and did NOT get better we turned the boost to 23 we played with the timming from 21-23 and nothing changed dont know what was going on???
My limited is getting closer and closer to my dream car its all in the tune from here it does run and drive nice in the street sounds WIKED TOO...
My main man Jeff will be checking the spark wires, coil pack and the modual soon hoping to fix soon in time to race 5-30-10.

Jeff thanx again for all your help hope you get well soon..

That's pretty impressive. Id be happy to. That's gonna be a handful on the street. How much torque at 20 psi? How much 91 was in there when u put 5 gallons of race gas in it?

quite possibly driving over the convertor with the additional boost.
What ecu are you running? any datalogs of the pulls?

quite possibly driving over the convertor with the additional boost.
What ecu are you running? any datalogs of the pulls?

Otto,
It seemed to be miss firing up at the higher boost (plug gap was .025"). We checked one of the NGK plugs and it showed rich. Ralph runs an XFI and the guy that did the dyno has the data logs. Today Mike from the dyno called me and said that the methanol was coming on even though I had Ralph shut it off when we added the Q16 (we drained the tank prior to adding the Q). He was seeing a drop in inlet temp. He was looking at pull #7 (we did a total of 10 pulls) and the inlet temp. was at 136F (too high to get good numbers) and then dropped to 98F. Also the voltage dropped as the alky pump came on (older Razor progressive setup). So we lost 3 volts from 17 to 14 on a 16 volt system. (On my car it is a solid 18V throughout the run). 14V should keep the ignition and the injectors working correctly.
Ralph is running an Art Carr 9" non lockup that should have a stall of 3600-3800.
The street program that Ralph was referring to; the XFI recorded the boost to be 13 lbs.
Jeff

Otto,
It seemed to be miss firing up at the higher boost (plug gap was .025"). We checked one of the NGK plugs and it showed rich. Ralph runs an XFI and the guy that did the dyno has the data logs. Today Mike from the dyno called me and said that the methanol was coming on even though I had Ralph shut it off when we added the Q16 (we drained the tank prior to adding the Q). He was seeing a drop in inlet temp. He was looking at pull #7 (we did a total of 10 pulls) and the inlet temp. was at 136F (too high to get good numbers) and then dropped to 98F. Also the voltage dropped as the alky pump came on (older Razor progressive setup). So we lost 3 volts from 17 to 14 on a 16 volt system. (On my car it is a solid 18V throughout the run). 14V should keep the ignition and the injectors working correctly.
Ralph is running an Art Carr 9" non lockup that should have a stall of 3600-3800.
The street program that Ralph was referring to; the XFI recorded the boost to be 13 lbs.
Jeff
Send me the logs

Just an update on Ralph's Limited. After the engine was built a leak developed in the front seal. The person that repaired the seal was not familiar with the placement of the cam sensor and it was off 180 degrees.
Jeff

Depends alot on the dyno too. I have never used them myself, but have heard that a dynojet will give numbers quite a bit higher than a mustang dyno.

IMHO the point of the dyno is to tune your car and check for other problems before you go down the track the first time. I was dissapointed when I only made 808 on a Mustang dyno, but I found the tune was almost exactly the same during the pull as it is on the track. My car was tuned already for the track and used the Mustang dyno to check some other things, but in hindsight after using the Mustang dyno I would never put a car on anything but one. The tuneup was within 2%.

As far as lower numbers I made 808 RWHP and ran 8.28 @ 167+ the next day with the same boost. :eek: