How not to put away a GN for the winter nap

Guys--took the GN out to top off the tank with premium and on the way back gave her about 15 psi of boost on the highway. All of a sudden--something popped and the boost stopped--engine fine, no cel codes, idling fine--quick visual under hood show no disconnected intercooler hoses etc. Drove another half mile back home. This is what I found--my guess is the P.O. used a hose adapter for this turbo on the inside of the fresh air intake and it worked loose under boost. I see what appears to be a bolt there too--guess I have to call bison for a turbo. Crap. I wasn't banking on needing a turbo or asking Santa for one. This is a precision 60 turbo. Double crap. Comments are always appreciated. Dp.

Attachments

• 1417992372674.jpg
    1417992372674.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 500
Looks like that piece is the nut that holds the compressor wheel on.

What's in the bottom left corner the dark spot. The nut and bolt is from the turbo.

Check oil, oil filter, intercooler and bearings. Might need an engine rebuild. :(

Ok--after I got an attitude adjustment from the CFO of the household--what would you guys suggest? Is this turbo worth trying to rebuild or replace it? My car does have alky, LS1 maf, 3" down pipe, precision inter cooler, 42 lb injectors, hot wire, has run over 25 psi of boost with current set up. What are my options? Advise is much appreciated. Impeller was stopped by the rubber. Nut was the retaining nut on impeller shaft. I normally don't see stuff like this on vehicles still under warranty--lol. Dp

Wow, what a way to end the season. That sucks !
Start with removing the oil filter, cutting it open and looking for metal...Good luck

Bryan

Thats awful :( Double up on the recommendation to Bison. If its worth saving he'll let you know.

Yep, the shaft is def broken. Bison will be able to fix it...
Check your intercooler for broken pieces of the wheel.

Ok--after I got an attitude adjustment from the CFO of the household--what would you guys suggest? Is this turbo worth trying to rebuild or replace it? My car does have alky, LS1 maf, 3" down pipe, precision inter cooler, 42 lb injectors, hot wire, has run over 25 psi of boost with current set up. What are my options? Advise is much appreciated. Impeller was stopped by the rubber. Nut was the retaining nut on impeller shaft. I normally don't see stuff like this on vehicles still under warranty--lol. Dp
Sir General Motors can not warranty that failure:)....after many phone calls and raising hell with the Service Manager and the DMA, the general has agreed to a onetime goodwill repair with customer participation of $200 deductible via our "ouija board"... due to customer enthusiasm.

Steve V--sign me up and I , unlike many of the customers I deal with would not go and argue over the deductible!!!! I guess it could have been worse and blow the head gasket. Try to fix it or just bite the bullet and replace?

Stuff happens.
If the shaft broke, more than likely you'll need a new turbo and get the IC cleaned/blown out of the shrapnel that let go. I don't think you'll have an issue with the oil, you can drop it to change as good measure but inspecting the cartridge on the turbo will tell you if something is missing and went down the worm hole.
Ohh.. and a new hose coupler :bored:

if it sucked the rubber hose connector in then your air filter is extremely restrictive or dirty

I'm having a difficult time seeing how it could ingest a coupler. They have to over the intake pipe and over the turbo inlet. There is no way to seal off from unmetered air otherwise.:confused:

The inlet had some funky adapter inside the rubber hose at turbo inlet--my guess is that the turbo inlet was 2.5 inches and the hose was a 3 inch size. I never messed with it and thought it was made that way. No--the P.O. installed it. Apparently it was not secured as originally thought.