how stupid? rear differential

krazy86t

i'm not a professional auto mechanic - nevertheless i've managed ok with several projects on the TR and other cars (front suspension bushings, torque converter, engine mounts, body bushings, brakes, radiator, etc. etc.). take my time and i usually get it done and i'm happy with the results.

this time i screwed up.
drivers rear axle seal is leaking. pull diff cover to un-clip axles.
start pounding on center carrier pin, but it won't come out...because...I forgot that a small bolt holds it in place.
Pound on the pin harder with BFnH...because...still not remembering small bolt. :mad:
This is not working so begin to think it might be electrical problem. :confused:
finally realize need to remove bolt - duh! tap center pin opposite direction to relieve stress on bolt.
bolt comes out! :smile:
pound on center pin some more and it does not move at all. :confused:
hmmmmmmmmmmmm... the bolt i removed looks too short to engage center pin, and it looks sheared off on threaded end.:eek:

so, center pin is going no where until: 1) sheared off bolt is removed - this would be very difficult with carrier in differential housing as there isn't much room to drill out the bolt for reversing extractor, or 2) drill out center pin - PITA but doable and still need to remove retaining bolt remnant.

i might squeeze this 15 min job into several days of frustration if i'm lucky and someone has good ideas to replace my dumb ones.

Attachments

• tr posi bolt.jpg
    tr posi bolt.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 347
very common
they seem to be broken on nearly every gn rear ive taken apart , 50/50 on other cars

theres a tapered pin at the end of the bolt not full threads , it beraks off leaving about 1 thread of the bolt as you see and the rest is a thin pin

relax step back and grab a can of brake clean and spray the treads in the carrier clean , then grab a pick and holding it against the broken bolt rotate the pick counterclockwise , 90% of the time ive gotten the broken half out this way
you could even take a thin drill bit and put a small dimple on the broken bolt to give the pick something to grab

there is also a removal kit (not very expensive that has a pilot that threads in and then a long drill bit to drill a small hole into the broken bolt and also back it out

heres a pic of the whole bolt that you can get a replacement at napa ..balkamp part 6351023 about 5 bucks

and PS the BFH is for breaking loose ball joints ,rolling fender lips and for working on fords... keep it away from the rear of the car

In your defence the pin what have probably broke off even without the BFH! Happens all the time mine just broke off on me here is what you can do that works most of the time providing no small parts of the threads got left on the pin. Clean the hole with brake clean very good get a stong magnet and find a metal pin or drill bit that is a little smaller than the hole. Then stick the magnet to the pin or bit slide it in to the pin and gently try to pull it out it may take some finesse and wiggling of the center pin but it should come out. Just clean it good so the oil dont affect the magnets grip!!!
Chris :cool:

i'm just curious on the line of reasoning that made you think (however momentarily) that it was an electrical problem of some sort?

i'm just curious on the line of reasoning that made you think (however momentarily) that it was an electrical problem of some sort?

Probably from TB member "Notacarlo" in his signature line area it says " If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

I like that one!:D

yep not looking forward to doing this again this summer...last summer it was the drivers now the passenger side blew out..doh!

Probably a joke

yep, attempt at a joke. based on the rest of the story i can understand why someone would have doubts.

#1 worked! really long drill bit and reversing extractor. i drilled out the old bolt head to act as a drill pilot hole. 1.5 threads left on the pin, so i needed the extractor. thanks to pacecarta for providing the knowledge!

Yea the magnet trick dont work with threads left! Good deal glad it worked out for you!
Chris

good to hear you got it

I had to replace a bent axle on a gn today. .. the carrier pin bolt came out in one piece
i need to go buy a lottery ticket