how to do bodywork

sorry guys i guess the gto slideshow innt done yet but the belair slideshow has two parts to it be sure to catch them both. ill try to get the gto show updated asap

You guys are crazy, I dread doing bodywork and ive got alot ahead of me:D...The previous owner put on a "body kit" and now ive got about 50 dime sized holes around the car, plus rust from the dirt and water that the body kit held against the body.

once i cut away the rust, what's the easiest way to fill in the holes? metal? fiberglass? holes are lower, rear quarter panels and the corner where the rear window meets the trunk.
do i grind away all the rusted areas before filling? or can some of it be halted and saved?

once i cut away the rust, what's the easiest way to fill in the holes? metal? fiberglass? holes are lower, rear quarter panels and the corner where the rear window meets the trunk.
do i grind away all the rusted areas before filling? or can some of it be halted and saved?

best way to do it is grind the affected area to see how far the rust is.
then cut the affected area out and weld in new metal.

so far, charlie has the best post for rust repair. when it warms up here i will try to make a post how to fix rust. if need be i will fix a old fender to show people how to fix rust.

ouch. mine isn't THAT bad. i was hoping to not have to weld in new panels, as i am not a welder type o' person. LOL

i was kinda wanting to just grind away the rusted metal and use fiberglass or lead to fill in the holes.

i'm stuck with the car, either way. may as well experiment!

you don't have to weld, you can always buy that panel glue stuff and glue in the patch. i have used the glue for puting a quarter panel on a truck bed. i would just weld it tho. some body guys swear by the glue i am on the fence with the stuff. your choose what is best for you.

so far, charlie has the best post for rust repair. when it warms up here i will try to make a post how to fix rust. if need be i will fix a old fender to show people how to fix rust.

Thanks Matt.:redface: I did a lot of reading before I attempted it though.:biggrin:

you don't have to weld, you can always buy that panel glue stuff and glue in the patch. i have used the glue for puting a quarter panel on a truck bed. i would just weld it tho. some body guys swear by the glue i am on the fence with the stuff. your choose what is best for you.

I thought about the glue but I wanted mine to be permanant. Glue doesn't always hold up so I didn't want to take the chance.

charlie today glue r awesome product.
even today airplane r glue .

Not argueing Miguel. Click on the link I provided and see what you think about my body work.:biggrin: I think you'll understand why I went with welding.:smile:

Not argueing Miguel. Click on the link I provided and see what you think about my body work.:biggrin: I think you'll understand why I went with welding.:smile:

I would of gone that same rout.:biggrin: man you did alot work on that car, most body guy would of fine other rollor . KUDO to you my friend great save.;)

I would of gone that same rout.:biggrin: man you did alot work on that car, most body guy would of fine other rollor . KUDO to you my friend great save.;)

Thanks Miguel.:biggrin: You need to see the condition of the 82 GN I've got here.:eek: This was the practice for it.:frown: I thought I'd get out easy on it but it's turned into a frame off now due to rot in the frame.:mad: If you look at the rear mods you may get some interesting ideas on simple mods you can make. ;)

where can i find details?

I know I have been asked a lot to do how to fix rust so here it is. Sorry the pictures are low quality. First step is to cut out the affected area. What you usually want to do is grind around the area to see how far the rust goes into the panel. I had a patch panel so I did not do that. Next step is to clean the flange area where your welds are going to go. I did not do a butt joint I did a lap joint any way is acceptable. Its just the way you like. Make sure you spray on some weld thru primer so it won’t rust. The easiest way to get the patch to line up is, put the patch up over the panel before you cut, and spray some paint around the patch. This will create a line to cut along. If you do a lap joint, you need a special tool to indent the panel shown in the picture. I use clecko to hold the panel up so I can weld. The idea is to use small tack welds so you don’t warp the panel. Move around the panel don’t just weld in one area. The idea is to make a full weld with tacks. (if you understand what I am saying. Its hard to explain) once the panel is welded in you grind it down put filler over it and do your body work. I will be doing another more in detail post on how to fix rust. I had to finish this truck in a hurry so; I did not take to may pictures. Hopes this helps some.

Attachments

• HP Digital Scan0025s.jpg
    HP Digital Scan0025s.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 291
  • HP Digital Scan0031s.jpg
    HP Digital Scan0031s.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 286
  • HP Digital Scan0034s.jpg
    HP Digital Scan0034s.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 326
  • HP Digital Scan0035s.jpg
    HP Digital Scan0035s.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 287
  • HP Digital Scan0037s.jpg
    HP Digital Scan0037s.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 329
more. sorry there is not enough detail. i will be making more post on how to fix rust. i hope this helps some.:smile:

Attachments

• HP Digital Scan0036s.jpg
    HP Digital Scan0036s.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 297
  • HP Digital Scan0024s.jpg
    HP Digital Scan0024s.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 302
  • HP Digital Scan0038.jpg
    HP Digital Scan0038.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 325
There is nothing wrong with fiberglass in a non-structural or non-flexing repair. It won't stop rust - you have to cut all that out. But in the end, it will probably outlast the car.