how to flush stock radiator

moyersgn

I want to flush out the stock radiator on an 87 GN. I've looked for the drain hole and can't seem to find it. Any help will be appricated. Thanks

Passenger-side, bottom of radiator (with a hole through the core support) you will find the petcock.

Also pay attention to what comes out and try to look inside the radiator. You may need to drive and flush it a few times to get it clean. After 25 years, it can be a bit messy in there.

Peter

Did this for several customers this last fall. Used an off the shelf flush to break up the some crap but even more came out after putting a small bottle of dish washing soap in and running it for a while. That did more than you would think to break up crap. I had to back flush 2 different vehicles multiple times to make sure all the crap came out so if it looks rusty then be prepared for it. The flush will neutralize the acid that builds up in a cooling system and then the soap will break a lot of crud loose. Worked great for both of them and I've never seen scale come out of one like this before.:)

@ Charlie1f what exactly is your process to doing this flush? I have all the items mentioned here, just a little confused in what steps happen when, I know the flush kit has instructions, but those are only do good, plus I really wanna know about this dish soap. If you don't mind going a little more in depth, that would be very helpful. Thanks

First thing you need to do is hook up the flush kit in the heater hose. What I prefer to do is disconnect the heater hose so nothing goes through the core. Take the radiator cap off and use the water to get all the old coolant out. Drain enough of the water out so that you can add the flush and run the car until it's hot. I leave the rad cap off and cap the flush part so there's no leakage. Once it's hot I shut the engine off and hook up the hose. Start the hose with a very slow flow so that water will barely come out of the radiator neck. Start the engine and runn it that way for a while until it's mostly clean. Turn the hose on hard and get it moving everything out of the system. Once you're satisfied drain enough out so that you can add the small bottle of soap and run it again with the cap on the T flush attachment. Let it get hot and you'll notice it will start foaming. The shut the engine off again and hook up hose and do the same thing again. All the soap won't come out so you will need to do it at least 2 times. Hope that helps.:)

When flushing radiator, do the hoses need to be removed?
I posted the directions above your post. I don't take the hoses off unless you just want to get the old antifreeze out. The upper has the thermostat in it so unless the engine is hot nothing will come out there.

Do not ignore charlies suggestion to bypass the heater core before you start unless you want to install a new heater core. They plug up pretty easy.