How to install TA-49 turbo?

baghouse

EZE
My TA-49 has arrived! I'm very excited to install this thing! It seems pretty straight forward to install. What do I need to know? It did not come with any instructions. IS THERE A START-UP/BREAK-IN PROCEDURE?

What I have:
New Ta 49 turbo
Copper gasket for Turbo to header connection
Oil drain pipe gasket
Newly installed oil supply line
Newly installed oil drain pipe

Last year I receive my New ta-49 install it And start The car...whitout problem,you Need to have good oil pressure when you start The car

The TA49 is a direct replacement for the stock turbo.
When I installed mine in 1992 I didn't do anything special and it's still going strong.
I hope I didn't screw something up by not breaking it in. Lol
Back then there wasn't the knowledge we have today, so who knows, maybe I did screw something up.

Once you get the stocker off don't tighen all the bolts until you have the downpipe and oil return line installed and lined up the way you want. That way you can move it around. It will make your life easier.

Last year I receive my New ta-49 install it And start The car...whitout problem,you Need to have good oil pressure when you start The car

Something I have always done without thinking and is the reason I forgot to mention it, I have a fuel pump shut off switch (hidden of course) that I hit every time I shut the car off.
When I change oil or other things, I let the car crank until it has oil pressure then I hit the switch and let it fire.

I suppose one could pour some oil in the turbo before putting the feed line on, just to make sure it's got lube when it stats to spin.

My GN sits a lot and what I do each and every time, before I start her, is I disconnected the orange wire by the battery and crank her up until I see around 30-40psi oil pressure on the gauge. Then I reconnect the orange wire and fire her up. I do this to ensure that there is oil at the turbo and upper part of the motor at start up. I think the only negative effects of doing this would be burning up a starter which is cheaper and easier to replace than a turbo. I have been doing this for about 14 years and so far no ill affects on the original starter. Hope this helps.

My GN sits a lot and what I do each and every time, before I start her, is I disconnected the orange wire by the battery and crank her up until I see around 30-40psi oil pressure on the gauge. Then I reconnect the orange wire and fire her up. I do this to ensure that there is oil at the turbo and upper part of the motor at start up. I think the only negative effects of doing this would be burning up a starter which is cheaper and easier to replace than a turbo. I have been doing this for about 14 years and so far no ill affects on the original starter. Hope this helps.

One thing to remember when disconnecting the orange wire, it will reset the changed perimeters of the TT chip back to the default settings and you will need to re-enter your custom tune.

Are you using the stock exhaust elbow or do you have an aftermarket down pipe? If running the stock elbow, I would plan to port it while you have it torn down...