How to ohm out coil pack

1badbuford

How do you ohm out the coil packs on a 87 Buick gn, the car has a miss and a pop , the plug wires are bad, but, I just want to check the coils I make sure they are good while I'm at it

Checking coil resistance may tell you if you had a bad coil but won't tell if they are good. The spark has to be observed to know if it's good. To test resistance measure with an ohmmeter pole to pole on the same coil

1badbuford said:
See the spark? Pull the plug wire and test the arc ?

Yes. You should use something metal ground the spark. A coat hanger screwed down that you can bend as needed. You don't want the spark jumping into any part of the harness. It could cause problems or ecu failure.

so when you say pole to pole how do you do that. do you put the positive part of the meter on one pole at a time then the ground on the body?

You can measure the resistance of the secondaries by using one lead of your multimeter on one coil wire terminal and the other test lead on the coils other terminal. Do this for each coil and compare the readings. If one is abnormal you may have a bad coil, but as bison suggested it won't prove they are good.
Im000098.jpg

Sorry to high jack this thread, but I tested mine today and have questions. One pole tested 12.5, the other 14.2 and the last one 19.3. So does this mean that I need a new one because the numbers are not close enough to one another?

You can measure the resistance of the secondaries by using one lead of your multimeter on one coil wire terminal and the other test lead on the coils other terminal. Do this for each coil and compare the readings. If one is abnormal you may have a bad coil, but as bison suggested it won't prove they are good.
Im000098.jpg
Sorry to high jack this thread, but I tested mine today and have questions. One pole tested 12.5, the other 14.2 and the last one 19.3. So does this mean that I need a new one because the numbers are not close enough to one another?

You should make the measurements with the engine hot. Is your car misfiring at WOT under boost? That 19.3k reading is high and indicates the coil pack is bad. This test isn't 100% accurate but will catch most packs that are bad.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app