How to store a GN long term?

imjoesnuffy

I just break stuff!
Well Uncle Sam has decided I need to go to Afghanistan. Including spin up time looks to be around 18 months altogether. Got 2.5 months before I leave.

Can't take my car with me, so looking for tips/tricks on storing a car long term. My wife hates my car, so I know she won't be startng it on a regular basis, if ever. She refuses to drive it, lol. It will be in my garage, heated during the winter.

Fluids?
Tires?
Jackstands?
Good car cover?

Just looking for ideas on how best to preserve it as much as I can. On the bright side I will be able to save lots o money for more mods:biggrin:

Car cover would be a very good idea. Also, do whatever you can to keep the rodents out. They can do alot more damage than you would think. They will nest in the seats, engine bay, etc. They will eat wires and hoses. Plug up your exhaust pipes! Obviously, take the battery out of the car and store someplace safe. There are two schools of thought on what fluids to take out of the car and which ones to leave in. I will leave you to the search function and the more knowledgable people on this forum for the answer to that. Speaking of the search function, it might not be a bad time to start thinking about what you will need to do to start the engine once you are back, so you'll be ready. The topic has been covered extensively, but it will give you food for thought before just firing up an engine that has not run in a year or two.

Needless to say, be careful over there. Thank you for your service.

+1 on the car cover and plugging the exhaust pipes so rodents don't find their way in.

I've always been told if it's going to be stored for long periods you should:

1. Fill up the tank and add some Staybil fuel stabilizer, but make sure you run the car long enough to get it into the lines
2. Change all fluids
3. Place the car on jack stands to take the weight off of the suspension and avoid flat spots on the tires
4. Remove the plugs pour a tablespoon or so of oil down the cylinder and rotate the engine a couple of times to distribute it in the cylinder and put the plugs back in
5. I've heard of people putting baking soda or desicant in the interior to keep moisture down
6. Good exterior cleaning and wax job
7. Remove battery

Just my .02c, but that should keep your ride in tip top shape until you return.

Thankyou for your service, from a Desert Storm Vet.

Steve

there is Fogging spray in a can that will keep everything free inside the engine.

if you have the time. pull the rocker shafts. 18 months is a long time for a valve spring to be compressed.

I also spray my brake rotors with a rust proofing spray but it's damp where I park mine for the winters.

in fact I spray a lot of things under my hood to avoid surface rust and corrosion.

I don't like to support the car from the frame. I'd sooner put junk tires on it than screw up the ride height by relieving the springs.

another plus to Fogging the engine with the spray or an oil is the exhaust gets coated with oil and will not rot from sitting with condensation.

Good luck

and Take Care

Time to replace wife with one that likes cool cars.

I cant keep mine out of the Buicks.

I am car broke though!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

If your garage is heated, I would take the anti-freeze out of it. From personal experience mine sat for almost ten years and the only problem I had beside some dry rotted vaccum lines were that anti freeze destroyed my radiator and hoses. The car was started occassionally and gas and oil changed, so take those precautions given by other members.

I have found a great mouse deterrent is Irish Spring soap. Cut the bars up and place them in the engine compartment...under the cars by the wheels/stands....in the frame....etc.

Your garage will smell great too :)

I have found a great mouse deterrent is Irish Spring soap. Cut the bars up and place them in the engine compartment...under the cars by the wheels/stands....in the frame....etc.

Your garage will smell great too :)

How long does it last? I told my friend to try it on a space he rents for his 67 Camaro, he checked it a couple of weeks later and caught 3 mice out of 4 traps!

mine lasts for a few years. I used to have mice all over the place as I live in the country but not anymore, at least in the engine compartment and frame. I never had them inside the car.

It will deteriorate over time.

I have also read that Bounce dryer sheets will keep critters out. I started using a store brand last winter in all my old junk...so far ,so good