how to tell if coolant is in oil

B00stJunkie

I posted this in new members area and was suggested to move here for more coverage so I'm going to just copy and repost...... so I cant do that, ill just reiterate what I said.

Basically Im going to look at a 85 we2 gn with a 97 drive train tomorrow. Mod list is te-60 with Precision exhaust housing, 50# injectors with pte street chip, 3" maf 3200 stall, 2.5" down pipe, fuel regulator, double roller timing chain with sprockets, new aluminum radiator, under drive pulley (no percentages stated) arp cam bolts arp flex plate bolts, new oil pump gears and gaskets and a gn1 oil cooler with biggie oil filter adapter. The dude man is asking 6 but states at the end of ad, "needs head gaskets". My goals of this car is to have a street car that is not daily driven and a tinker toy I can work on. It will be a long term project I just want it to be drivable in between modifications. So with all that said, what would be an easy way to see if coolant has made its way to the oil without pulling the oil pan?

Could I just use the dip stick and smell/see color? Another member stated in my original thread that it's more common for just one gasket to blow, not both. The owner also stated that I cannot drive it and would have to tow it to my home, which makes sense to me cause if no coolant has met the oil, then there's no point in trying to drive it and then they find their way to each other. All input and opinions are welcome.

Im going to look at a 85 we2 gn with a 97 drive train tomorrow..............

Ummmmmmmmmm.... What?

Im going to look at a 85 we2 gn with a 97 drive train tomorrow..............

Ummmmmmmmmm.... What?

To clarify he's going to look at an 85 GN that received the special prototype engine that Buick snatched when they were teleported in to 1997. Blown headgasket was also very common in 1997. Looks like Buick can't get that right.

A few very vague signs can be

Water/coolant in oil that will have a milkshake appearance as stated before.

If it has been recently ran you might be able to see water/condensation on the valve covers/breathers.

Bubbles on dipstick from over pressurized cooling system or bubbles in coolant resevoir.

White smoke from tailpipes that doesnt ever stop unless your out of coolant. :)

Remove spark plugs to see if they are wet if recently ran.

A compression or leak down test can be done to see where exactly is the headgasket blown.
I doubt the owner will let you put things in his holes. :)

It's really a gamble as you dont know how long the car was really ran with a blown headgasket. Water is not a lubricant, mixing that in with the oil and you will probably need new bearings or rebuild.

For all you know he could of drained the oil and put fresh oil in it. You see, no water contamination so its good!!

Im not a Buick mechanic by any means, I just carry heavy things on my back and lift them up and put them down.

if you see lines thru all the words you type on internet forums, then you probably have coolant in the oil. it's actually the best way to tell..

Word.

If, erring on the side of caution, the motor needs rebuilding and can be rebuilt, what you looking at is actually a $10K plus car.
Yeah, sure, you might just need a head gasket, on one side, and then you might need more. Much more.
If it doesn't ride - It's basically a roller with a blown / unknown engine.
And an 85 Hybrid to boot.

I caution you to strongly consider one of the known, finished and running cars that are for sale on here from known members.
What seems like a good deal, oft times is not at all.
Unless you are one of the guys that have tons of spare TR parts laying around, and years of knowledge of the tips and tricks - you're asking for trouble.
You did not mention the condition of the rest of the car, (paint & interior, other mechanicals) - but if they need more than a detailing - at $6K - it's overpriced in today's market.