Huffing at idle.....your thoughts and experience

Amelio

Hey fellas,

my car has recently began to smoke and its has gotten to the point where its annoying...a little smoke is ok but not to the point its at.

It will smoke at idle and from what I can tell that only at idle and nothing really in the throttle. It is a decent internal leak as it has gone through a 1/2 qt in about 1k miles.

I freshened up the engine a few years ago after a head gasket let go....I put in new rings bearing and replaced my valve seals....I run the comp nylon units with the metal clip.

At this point I feel it is my valve guides since they are brass and old! They were new about 12 years ago when I had the heads ported and polished by champion and bigger valves installed.

I think I will wait until the winter and pull the heads and have new guides put in.

What do you guys think....am I on the right line of thinking?

Have you checked the intercooler piping for oil? Throttlebody have any residue inside of it? Check the turbo for play.
I had the same issue when my turbo went south.

Does it smoke all the time or just at idle ? I think you r right on the track .how's your PCV ?

Vacuum is highest at idle...so it may be pulling oil down the guides.

1/2 quart in 1000 miles is a bunch. With that kind of oil consumption you're going to have to efficient and patient. There's a chance you can isolate the problem and keep smoking from from extra residue.

Definatly check the intercooler and downpipe. Check the plugs to see if they're shiny black. (if it's the turbo hotside, that oil won't hit the plugs)

You can unplug the PCV line, fold it over and secure it. That will eliminate the PCV sucking oil. And see if it stops.

Keep in mind a steady oil injection will smoke more at idle. You can have the same oil amount at cruise or WOT and it's diluted down with more exhaust gasses.

Turbo shaft play is good....this turbo does not have much use on it since it was rebuilt a few years ago...... I do need to check the intercooler but I don't think that's it either....the throttle body is also clean I just had that piping off.

I need to double check my PCV....I use to run without one for years....its only been the past year or so I have hooked it back up.