Hurst Lightning Rod Shifters

GNX 233 485

Anyone ever put a Hurst Olds Lightning rod shifter in a GN or GNX? I am attempting to install one in my GNX soon and want to have all the pieces that I need. Mainly it is just for the looks and too be a little different than my fellow 547....Though I will have to put up with the comments "is it a real GNX??" and "you know they never came with those shifters".....:p

It's been done before in several GNs. I think you have to notch the inside of the buick console to get them in there. BuickGN.com makes a custom top plate that fits the buick console. Besides the shifter itself, you will need the cable and bracket that mounts it to the pan rail. I "think" the arm that bolts to the shift shaft of the trans is the same, and i've been told that you can cut and reweld a stock lower cable bracket (the one that bolts to the trans pan rail) to make it hold the cable in the correct place if you need to. A buddy of mine parted out a badly wrecked/rusted 84 hurst olds and I removed the lightning rods and sold them for him on this site. Was asking $750 and he told me to let them go when I got a $650 offer, so I did. I sold the shifter, mounting bracket, top plate, cable, cable bracket for the trans, and arm for the shift shaft.

Personally I think they are overrated. They sure do look cool, but they are kind of quirky, and you have to push those damn buttons down ALL THE WAY before throwing it forward into the next gear or it will not go. Not the kind of thing I want happening when my car is at redline. We concluded that you could go in and grind a taper on the detents of the mechanism so that they would slide forward without pushing the buttons if you planned on racing with them. I could have had those in my car for $500 or less with some trading, and I chose not to use them.

Anyway if you go ahead with it, they do take a special cable and bracket for the trans. unless you like to fab stuff, then you could most likely pull it off using only the shifter. Hope this helps.

bob koch

I put them in my 87 442, which has the same center console and transmission as your GNX. It's a snap (once you acquire a good set of rods). Go over to the Hurst Olds website, or 442.com or the G-Body site and get in touch with Angelo Valenti, he has a store on the G-Body site. He will make you a the correct custom top plate with the correct dustplate and sweeps, he also has reproduction mounting brackets and can rebuild the L-Rods as well.

You will need the following for the swap:
1 Set L-Rods
1 Set mounting brackets (1 for the trans cable and 1 for the shifters)
1 Custom top plate
4 Black coarse thread screws (this is a taste issue some use chrome)
1 Trans shifter cable (available from GM Angelo knows the part#)

Basically remove your old shift plate and shifter, disconnect the cable and store away. Use the new top plate as a template and use a Dremel to cut out the area exposed, you will need to do some additional nothing on a case by case basis to get it to fit in completely but when cutting less is more. Everything after that bolts right up. In the end it should look like this....

Attachments

• DCP_0190.jpg
    DCP_0190.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 15,380
Sorry if I sound stupid but what is so special about these? The guy I bought my gn had one laying around....:confused:

Hurst

It's been done before in several GNs. I think you have to notch the inside of the buick console to get them in there. BuickGN.com makes a custom top plate that fits the buick console. Besides the shifter itself, you will need the cable and bracket that mounts it to the pan rail. I "think" the arm that bolts to the shift shaft of the trans is the same, and i've been told that you can cut and reweld a stock lower cable bracket (the one that bolts to the trans pan rail) to make it hold the cable in the correct place if you need to. A buddy of mine parted out a badly wrecked/rusted 84 hurst olds and I removed the lightning rods and sold them for him on this site. Was asking $750 and he told me to let them go when I got a $650 offer, so I did. I sold the shifter, mounting bracket, top plate, cable, cable bracket for the trans, and arm for the shift shaft.

Personally I think they are overrated. They sure do look cool, but they are kind of quirky, and you have to push those damn buttons down ALL THE WAY before throwing it forward into the next gear or it will not go. Not the kind of thing I want happening when my car is at redline. We concluded that you could go in and grind a taper on the detents of the mechanism so that they would slide forward without pushing the buttons if you planned on racing with them. I could have had those in my car for $500 or less with some trading, and I chose not to use them.

Anyway if you go ahead with it, they do take a special cable and bracket for the trans. unless you like to fab stuff, then you could most likely pull it off using only the shifter. Hope this helps.

bob koch
It does, thanks for the info.

Thanks

I put them in my 87 442, which has the same center console and transmission as your GNX. It's a snap (once you acquire a good set of rods). Go over to the Hurst Olds website, or 442.com or the G-Body site and get in touch with Angelo Valenti, he has a store on the G-Body site. He will make you a the correct custom top plate with the correct dustplate and sweeps, he also has reproduction mounting brackets and can rebuild the L-Rods as well.

You will need the following for the swap:
1 Set L-Rods
1 Set mounting brackets (1 for the trans cable and 1 for the shifters)
1 Custom top plate
4 Black coarse thread screws (this is a taste issue some use chrome)
1 Trans shifter cable (available from GM Angelo knows the part#)

Basically remove your old shift plate and shifter, disconnect the cable and store away. Use the new top plate as a template and use a Dremel to cut out the area exposed, you will need to do some additional nothing on a case by case basis to get it to fit in completely but when cutting less is more. Everything after that bolts right up. In the end it should look like this....

Great info, thanks.

The only thing really special, besides being cool (and too complex for Chevy guys to figure out) is there limited production. Hurst made the original LR's in the late 60's early 70's, but those were 3-speed rods.....so be careful...there are lots of those laying around. The 4-speed rods were made only for the 83-84 Hurst/Olds and available in the aftermarket on a limited basis during the same period.

The set I put in my car was a NOS set that came from a dealership in California. I actually used to play with mine, its pretty fun, but then again I wasn't driving a turbo car.

After I put them in I used to get the funniest conversations and gawkers. People would say it was a prototype car, or that is was a limited option for drag racing only, etc. More people would ask me how you shift them.

I've got them in my car, I have the three speed ones because i'm running a 400 with a reverse manual valve body and its a blast to drive kind of like a streetable lenco:biggrin:

I ran set in my 87 442 when I had it :)

They are fun and with a little practice, you can bang gears with zero issues and quickly too.

When I'm done at the School of Autmotive Machinists, maybe they should find a home in the TTA :-P

They are worth some laughs and conversations.

My favorite was " Is it a stick or auto?" My answer was simply "yes"

later
Jeremy

I want some clarification on the shifter. I went on ebay and saw one selling for 700.00 I went back two weeks later and one was selling for for about 165.00 . Which one is worth more the new 80s shifter or the 60s shifter. I would assume completeness increase price . I ask because I own one but cant figure if I should sale it .

The 60's shifter is a 3 speed where the 80's shifter from a hurst olds is a 4 speed that can be adapted to alot more cars. I guess it depends on the application you need them for. A 69 camaro with a 350 trans you can use the 3 speed shifter with no problems, but a Gbody GN or Cutlass you need the 4 speed type. Plus it also depends on the other things they include in the sale, the cable/shifter plate/base plate/trans bracket.

IMHO the 3-speed's usually sell for alot less, as they are fairly common, and unless I am horribly off, I think you can still buy them new (or NOS) if you dig around. Whereas the 4 speed rods are not available.

Rods

I had an 84 Hurst/Olds and liked them "effect" enough to warrant searching for a second factory 4spd unit to put in my Buick. Don't be concerned about the racing and shifting part. I simply put my car in drive and there are no issues. I don't actually race by shifting through each gear with the shifter.:D