Hydroboost or vacuum?

dnoel

If I have missed this in a previous thread, sorry. I have an 87 GN, 66,000 mile original. It has not seen daily duty for about 5 years. Looking for some advice, it has the PM still in it, with regular brake application the brake ligh tcomes on then goes out almost immediately. I have readthe PM is not the most reliable, so my question is...if I retrofit should I go with the Hydroboost of Vacuum? This car will probably never see the track, but it will be a slightly modified street car, daily driver, to enjoy on those sunny days. I just want to have the piece of mind that the thing will stop, before I startdoing the go fast stuff. Thanks!

D

If the engine's stock but slightly modified with good vacuum at idle you'll come out cheaper with the vacuum conversion. If it's been modified where the engine doesn't produce good vacuum at idle then you'll be better off going hydroboost.:)

Just had a friend "silver fox" a senior member on this board recently did my conversion. The car has never stopped better. You will see a lot of opinions on this subject. It boils down to this if you want an effective, and efficent conversion that both works, and is a good value do the vacum conversion and never look back. It is by far the most cost effective solution to this problem. Good luck.....

Thank you, for the advice I will get to reading. Any recommended complete kits? Or to I need to piece a it together?

I bought my kit from specialadditions.com a buick vendor who sells lots of turbo buick goodies. However, there is a coversion kit for sale for 120.00 that a board member posted yesterday in the parts for sale section. You may want to contact him as it can save you some bucks.... Otherwise you can find the kit from specialadditons.com as indicated above, or gbodyparts.com.

If you decide to remain stock, you can fix it with an accumulator ball. They don't like to sit idle and yours probably gave up the ghost during that time period. The bad thing is, the ball is more than a vacuum conversion and less than a hydroboost conversion. Link.

I have driven all three types of brake systems on the TR and much preferred the pedal feel and clamping power of hydroboost. Just my preference!

I had a vacuum booster and rear disk brakes and could not hold the car on the line at the drag strip. Switched to hydraboost and the problem disappeared. Vacuum booster may work find with drum rear brakes with big wheel cylinders. I really like the hydraboost as it develops way more pressure than a vacuum booster ever will.
Conrad

I had a vacuum booster and rear disk brakes and could not hold the car on the line at the drag strip. Switched to hydraboost and the problem disappeared. Vacuum booster may work find with drum rear brakes with big wheel cylinders. I really like the hydraboost as it develops way more pressure than a vacuum booster ever will.
Conrad

I agree the Hydraboost is better especially with disc in the rear. But I run the vacuum and have for over 10 years. Bigger shoes and S10 wheel cylinders and can set and hold 15lbs if I want to. :)

Thanks for the help, probably going to go with the vacuum setup for now. Do I need the aluminum vacuum block? Can anyone give me a rundown of what I need exactly, or give me a link that might help me out, Thanx!

I used a brass "T" in my PCV line instead of the aluminum block. I was able to mount the T down low & close to the PCV & then run the new vacuum line around the back & somewhat out of sight.

The link above in my previous post pretty much shows you what you need. I ended up using the dual diaphram booster & MC from an '87 Monte Carlo. You will need to locate a new brake pedal from a G-Body with vacuum assist brakes. It's all fairly straightforward.

Good luck & please let us know how it turns out for you.
~JM~

I get 1.5x sixty foot times with vacuum system and stock brakes. My power master worked great but at 130+mph I was nervous about a failure.

Vacuum all the way, hydroboost works but lots more potential places for leaks, more plumbing and they are sort of ugly. I did my vacuum conversion with all new GM parts about 15 years ago. Never had an issue. With a Ford 9" rear with 11" drum brakes and SSBC front calipers I can hold plenty of boost.

It sounds like vacuum is your choice, but there is one other thing to point out with hydroboost. If you go with a stock 1984 TR unit, realize that there is no accumulator so if you lose power steering or the engine dies, you have manual brakes immediately. At least vacuum has a reserve. :) That's why a lot of people like the Chevy Astro Van hydroboost unit. My Mustang Cobra with stock hydroboost has a small accumulator also.

Hydroboost was on 84 & 85 - I somewhat consider it an original type setup.

I tried vacuum & had too many issues. Some other TR owners are happy with vacuum. I am very happy with my 84 HB.

If you want to go with the KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle, the simplest setup would be standard brakes. I have noticed some talk about the S10 setup. Before the TR & Pontiac, I never had anything but standard brakes.

Hydroboost was on 83 through 85 Plus a ton of trucks so it's the heavier braking option. Not always the easiest thing to install but it is one of the most effective braking systems out there.

I ended up getting a vacuum setup, I figured it was cheaper and I am running a bone stock for now. Hopefully I will be happy with the vacuum brakes. I just wanted to get the car back on the road as quick and cheap as I could. Thanks for all the responses and the how to links.

I agree the Hydraboost is better especially with disc in the rear. But I run the vacuum and have for over 10 years. Bigger shoes and S10 wheel cylinders and can set and hold 15lbs if I want to. :)
Do you have more information on what shoes you are using? Also, what year S10 wheel cylinder will work? Basically, if i go to the parts store to buy them, I will need a year, make, and model.
Thanks