I am inheriting a 2002 LS1 Engine HMMM / Going turbo LS.

I am inheriting a 2002 LS1 Engine HMMM
I have been contemplating going the LS route.
And here comes my cousin up grading up to a built LSX 427 long block with a bunch of supporting goodies .
So i am the lucky guy that gets the OE engine from his car, a LS1 with less than 50k miles.
My initial thoughts were to get a rebuildable core, build it up (cam, rods, pistons and mild head work) and go from there.
But now getting a known great running engine with low miles.

Should anything be done to this one before the transplant?
OR
should I wait till i blow it up?

Anyways the plan/target is still the same a low 11 with very high 10 second occasional pass NOT looking at setting records or getting every inch of power out of it. I want this to be a reliable build that i can get in and go on a nice long road trip.
Also i am shooting for some bling factor so Twin small turbos is an option i am really considering but only if AC, PS and PB can be kept.
If not id really like to copy the GN header design with the crossover and all.

Also from which donor vehicles are the accessories preferred for transplants ?

The motor is currently set up for a manual transmission, So what else is needed to go to an Automatic besides a flex plate?

Your thoughts/comments/opinions?
Thanks for your help.
BTW This is for my Hybrid (68 Chevelle) NOT a GN or BUICK.

sounds like a good score. where you are looking for all the answers to put it in a chevelle I would suggest joining over on ls1tech the conversions and hybrids section of that forum is so active its crazy , I swear of the half dozen car forums I am on regularly that one section of that one forum is busier than all the rest combined you will find so many people doing the exact swap you want to do and in every possible flavor - you need to be there.

As for your et goals many stock internals ls1 cars crack 11's with bolt ons , low to mid/solid 11's adding a cam to the mix , 10's on heads cam , turbos are more the realm of the 8-10 second cars over there.

Quick NA auto LS1 cars usually have very high stall convertors , these motors make good power above 3500 so 3500-4000 stalls are super common , I have 3 ls1 camaro's you will love that little engine ! I havent swapped one but hope to eventually in my ventura or 2nd gen TA

are you looking to stay fuel injected or go carb ? if carb the carb forum over there is also super active

not saying this section here cant get you all your answers I am sure it could this is a great forum but ls engine swaps are going on in every imagineable platform and I think the swappers have all found ls1 tech lol

that makes sense where you currently have efi that you would want to stay efi , I saw your post over there not long after this post last night.

theres a convertor spacer available people use to go older GM auto on ls engines t350/t400/glide/2004r/700r4

that makes sense where you currently have efi that you would want to stay efi , I saw your post over there not long after this post last night.

theres a convertor spacer available people use to go older GM auto on ls engines t350/t400/glide/2004r/700r4
good to know as i want to keep the 200-4R

i am going to try and leave the trans in its current location and mate the motor to it and see how things line up.
Thats the way i did the V6 trans plant.

Good luck w/ the 200 holding up to the turbo/LS power....BTDT, and have some scrap to show for it.

depending on youre budget. for $600 you can spray 150 shot@ ls1 motors all day long. they like nos will get you in the 11,s. but from there starts to get pricey w/ heads and cam and 200shot makin 600+hp combo 5k will get you in low 10,s. lots of my buddys run that combow/stock shortblocks they run em till they blow them up and then get another motor. there a shitload of them out there. then add the cost of a built tranny/conv because a stock one wont last makin that much power. ask me how i know.then theres the unforeseen cost of a build. and thats not talkin about a turbo combo oh my! the moral to the story is to go the k.i.s.s route Keep It Simple Stupid.and and with that being said Merry X- Mas to all my tr brothers and there familys.

even for just low 11ns??

You KNOW it won't be "ENUF" to stop at low 11's!!:D:D
A stock 4L80E, freshened up, will be plenty of trans, for a lot faster than "low 11's" And, there's no hassle controlling it. It's all right there in the PCM..

You KNOW it won't be "ENUF" to stop at low 11's!!:D:D
A stock 4L80E, freshened up, will be plenty of trans, for a lot faster than "low 11's" And, there's no hassle controlling it. It's all right there in the PCM..

I am trying to convince my self that low 11ns will be.:rolleyes:
I guess i can start with what I have and up grade as stuff brakes.
It also depends on how much money i can generate when i start selling ALL of my Buick stuff, that will play a big part in the new build.
right now i am just trying to figure out which accessories to use and weather to go with a front cross over or rear cross over.
and which one of the 1 million different motor mounts and so on to use.

281646_448213161901131_2110051462_n.jpg

:D

11s will not be hard in the Chevelle especially if you plan to turbo the car. I have a 66 nova which im not sure of current weight as I never weighed it but I have a stock ls2 with the tremec 5 speed behind it and its into the 11s. Don't know if you have looked at Texas speed for ls1 parts? My neighbor bought one or their cam kits an set of heads for his 2001 ls1 camaro and he is running low 11s (got kicked off track for no cage) he plans on pro charging it for 10s. These new ls motors are unbelievable the amount of power you can get with reliability

i got this from" http://www.gmperformancedivision.com/pulse/tips.aspx "

Can I use older transmissions (Powerglide, TH350, TH400, 700R4, 2004R) behind LS engines?
While the bell housing bolt pattern is essentially the same, the positioning of the torque converter nose and rear of the crankshaft flange changed between the older traditional Small Block, Big block, verses the LS style engine. The crankshaft flange was shortened 9.6 mm (about .375”) and the nose of the torque converter was lengthened the same amount when the LS engine was introduced. What this means is that when you bolt an older “non-LS” 4L60 family transmission up to an “LS” engine, the center of the torque converter will not reach the crankshaft. Transmission damage may occur if you do not have the converter piloted into the back of the crankshaft correctly. Use P/N 12621399 6-bolt crankshaft spacer and flexplate assembly to lengthen the crankshaft flange to the proper depth to pilot the torque converter correctly when using an older transmission behind an LS style engine. The 12621399 is a direct bolt on for 4L80 family and TH400 transmissions (see below) however, the torque converter bolt circle diameter (BCD) will need to be modified to use other transmissions (see Torque Converter to Flexplate Bolt Pattern notes below).

Anyone use the part number in this write up ?