I blew it up

bakerlaw67

BQQSTED
After just getting a new CHRA installed last month on my '83 TType, I think I threw a rod. I was screwing around with an Omni GLH (I think). It was a ratty little beast, but I should have known that it wasn't as ratty under the hood when I saw the high-dollar Goodyear rubber.

Of course I beat it handily (even with my ratty big beast w/140k on the odo) and proceeded to get on the freeway for work. I was cruising down the freeway at around 85 and everything was good. However when I got to the end of the exit ramp, it died. I restarted and it sounded like somebody was taking a 5-lb sledge hammer to the block. I'm guessing that those damn steel gears in the oil pump finally had their way with the aluminum housing and the lower pressure took its toll on the hard driving.

Considering that this is my daily driver for at least the next 6 months, and I really can't coax my wife into the dream buildup at this time (baby is due in Nov.), what is the minimum I can/should do, yet would keep me from having to do tear it apart later to improve it. I'm not looking for a 13 sec car (anymore) but I'd like to stay competitive in my impromptu stoplight runs.

Mr. Micale or Mr. Evers, I'd appreciate some referrals to trustworthy mechanics here in the Valley. Like I said, I'm not looking for a high-dollar, high-power upgrade, but I do not want to have to go into the block ever again.

Sorry to hear this. :(

Maybe you just spun a bearing and it can be replaced without pulling the motor.

Considering stock engines with high mileage can handle the 12's without problems, I don't think you need anything too special on a rebuild. The only changes I would make from stock would be a cam, and ported heads. Just find a competent rebuilder and let them know what you want and your ultimate goals for the car. You really shouldn't need anything too exotic (or $$$). I would see about a bigger downpipe if the engine come out.

That's the beauty of these motors. Stock short block, all bolt-on mods and tuning.

Oh, and congrats on the baby. :)

Chamfer the crank and drill the oil feed holes out to 3/8". That will keep the rods and mains oiled.

you too huh? i was racin a 02 Camaro SS in my SS and i broke the wrist pin on one of my pistons i think. its not a constant knock jus once and awhile so i took my oil pan off and i need to take off my driverside head to check on the motor. i hope everything goes good with you and the same for me