I don't understand the "Grandpa car" dig at the GN

tracy

I hear people refer to the GN as a "Grandpa Car" now and then and I really don't understand the logic in that comment.

Historically, most true musclecars were based off family cars. Many of them were taxi cabs, police cruisers, 4-door models, wagon models, etc. Obviously these derivatives were owned by just about every demographic. Including Grandpas!!!

The same is true of the Buick Regal. It appealed to a broad age demographic and was a staple in the rental fleet.

So, when someone says "grandpa car" to me I immediately put them into my "Knucklehead" file.

I'll go on record as saying the GN is one of THE meanest looking musclecars ever, at least IMO.

So the next time some idiot in a Chevelle says "nice grandpa car" I guess I'll say at least they didn't make a 4-door wagon version of my car!

its more a buick knock... not a regal knock.

buick as always been marketed in the older demographics. look at the ads for the GS's of the 70s. Chevy and pontiac have always been the younger peoples make at the general, Caddy, Olds, and Buick fill the other demographics.

Actually they did make a four door wagon version of the GN. It was used on the GM testing grounds and never availbe to the public. I think there were two of them. My Limited T with the leather interior and all the options I get more "nice car" comments form the older crowd than anyone else. Which suits me just fine because most little punks pay no attention to it because they just have no idea what it is.
Dave

Originally posted by LimitedT
Actually they did make a four door wagon version of the GN. It was used on the GM testing grounds and never availbe to the public. I think there were two of them. My Limited T with the leather interior and all the options I get more "nice car" comments form the older crowd than anyone else. Which suits me just fine because most little punks pay no attention to it because they just have no idea what it is.
Dave

They dont know that!

I get more "drug dealer" or "gangster car" comments from people.

I get a lot of "nice car" as well. Notably from BMW owners and a cop that followed me into a gas station just to tell me he liked my car.

Around here the gangbangers like the Regals and the GN's to them are just black Regals that the same hydrualics systems and stereos can fit into.

This Neon driving punk that my wife works with wanted to see pics of my T after she told him about it. He saw them and said the same thing "Grandpa car". Just had to laugh, he's probably right, it has chrome door trim and fluffy pillow seats, for Pete's Sake.
I don't care, I dig it, and I'd smoke his girly car driving ass :D

Buick = grandpa cars. My grandpa drove one and nowmy 69 year old dad drives one. Look at the cars buick offers - do you see anything that would appeal to anyone under 50??

Originally posted by XLR8
Buick = grandpa cars. My grandpa drove one and nowmy 69 year old dad drives one. Look at the cars buick offers - do you see anything that would appeal to anyone under 50??

like i said look at the marketing for the late 60s early 70s buicks GS stage 1s i think it says something like, this is not your grandpa's buick.

its a buick thing not a GN or regal thing

Originally posted by Reaper
like i said look at the marketing for the late 60s early 70s buicks GS stage 1s i think it says something like, this is not your grandpa's buick.

its a buick thing not a GN or regal thing

I think you mean Olds - which was "this is not your Fathers Oldsmobile".

Originally posted by XLR8

Well I'll disagree - the Regal GS is clearly marketed at the middle age family guy.

I think the marketing strategy for Buick was always the step up from Olds and a stop on the way to Cadillac. That typically had as much to do with what the customer could spend as it did with their age.

The GS's were certainly marketed towards a younger crowd.

I think too many people think beige Park Avenue when they think Buick, when really that's not the whole picture.

I see lot's of older people driving Impalas too you know what I mean? ;)

Originally posted by tracy
I think you mean Olds - which was "this is not your Fathers Oldsmobile".

maybe i know they had that as well, but i am trying to imagine the 70 gsx ad. when i get home i will look for it.

Grandapa car

Most people I have encountered that make these sort of comments are jealous folks and people with me to cars like mustangs, Chevelle's and ricers....
F em all......

Ray:eek:

Originally posted by tracy
I hear people refer to the GN as a "Grandpa Car" now and then and I really don't understand the logic in that comment.

Historically, most true musclecars were based off family cars. Many of them were taxi cabs, police cruisers, 4-door models, wagon models, etc. Obviously these derivatives were owned by just about every demographic. Including Grandpas!!!

The same is true of the Buick Regal. It appealed to a broad age demographic and was a staple in the rental fleet.

So, when someone says "grandpa car" to me I immediately put them into my "Knucklehead" file.

I'll go on record as saying the GN is one of THE meanest looking musclecars ever, at least IMO.

So the next time some idiot in a Chevelle says "nice grandpa car" I guess I'll say at least they didn't make a 4-door wagon version of my car!

Just say "can your grandpa's car do big, rolling, smoky burnouts?" or perhaps "Was your grandpa's car quicker then the 'vette of the same year?"

My 87 gets more gangster car comments then the GN. Its a black T with chrome trim, 17s and a fairly loud stereo.

I just look at it this way. I bought this sled to make just one person like it. ME... :D

Originally posted by SPOOLFOOL2
I just look at it this way. I bought this sled to make just one person like it. ME... :D
Thats the way I see it too! like getting a compliment as much as the next guy, But if they don't understand that these cars demand respect then F'em.

Originally posted by 1000MileStylez
my brother says im a "guitto" for having one

that is true ;)
Now that's a term I haven't heard in a long time!

The "guidos" that used to cruise the Jersey Shore always had the IROC or Trans Am GTA.

I'm curious to find out what the 2004 version of the guido-mobile would be.....I'm thinking GMC Denali or Lincoln Navigator.

Back on the topic, I think that the Buick name itself implies old fogey car and that's a shame. Buick tried to shake this image in the mid-eighties with the GN and they totally dropped the ball in 1988 with the new front-drive body style.

Think about it.......in 1986/87 people were buying Buicks who would have never thought about buying one before. That's a pretty tough task. It sort of reminds me of when the Subaru WRX first came out. If you told a person that you were buying a Subaru, they would laugh in your face.

Originally posted by troGNman
Now that's a term I haven't heard in a long time!

The "guidos" that used to cruise the Jersey Shore always had the IROC or Trans Am GTA.

I'm curious to find out what the 2004 version of the guido-mobile would be.....I'm thinking GMC Denali or Lincoln Navigator.

Escalade EXT. My buddy Tony calls his the "whop whip":rolleyes:

I get the Grandpa comments from a guy at work. I play along w/ it because I think it's funny. I told him I was contemplating selling the car and he told me to drive it over to Denny's early in the morning to market it to the senior crowd.

Later,

Steve.