I got my A double scribble handed to me!!

rx4mike

Saturday night. I was in the local inconvience store getting my dose of ice tea. While I was at the register paying for the goods I could hear this car racing it motor real loud...VROOOOM...VROOOM. Well I paid and dashed outside As I was heading out the door i could see it was a purple colored Trans Am 1997 to be exact Sitting in front of my drivers door to my 87 GN. I asked if he wanted to run and he said hell yeah!!! I don't liked be stalked but I like a good challenge. we pull out heading north, he is in the passing lane and i am in the driving lane. I hit it REAL hard go by him like he was standing still. As I pass him I could hear he missed a gear so I reflect on a quote from a certain movie ("whether you win by an inch or a mile winning is winning" F&F) . We stop and he knows a road a couple of miles of way where we can go from a dead stop. I okay it, having CONFIDENCE bulging from my veins, and it is off we go.

As we line up I try to build up boost so I dont have any turbo lag. But I end up smoking the tires and going sideways. We try it again and this time I get him off of the line but he gains REAL quick and keeps getting it. He got me by a car link before I hit the brake to stop because the road was ending. My brakes were smoking like hell!!! prob for 4 minutes atleast. He says he has a 350 with corvette heads and some other mods. he says he ran a 12.9 at the local track.

I am very upset about this. but life goes on. I will get em soon. My GN is in the paint shop getting sprayed. Can someone give me some advice in laymans terms how I can lay da smack down on his candy a$$...lol. With what I have already installed in the car.

Thanks

Rx4Mike

and you'll need bigger injectors to turn the boost up....stay away from LS1's with a stock GN

Injectors, alky. injection, increased boost and some traction and you will get him by the carlength.

Easily. :)

hey mike i told you not to go messing around with the big dogs. now you are crying crocodile tears .its time to get that pasafier out of the trunk :D just kidding we will get a turbo on that beast and tear that guys behind up .RR

OH Man!!!

I wish someone would try that with me. ;)

More boost and better tires and he'll be looking at your tail lights all the way home.

Better luck next time bud.
:cool:

Dude you got all that stuff and you couldnt beat a 12.90 camaro which is probably 13s on the street?

87 ...9" K&N, Shift Kit, XP FP+HW,Billet AFP, Terry Houston 2.75" CAT Back, Thumb Wheel Chip, 2800 Stall,Stock turbo, injectors, 3" MAF Pipe, 160 Stat, More to list cant remember right now.

isn't a thumbwheel chip a bit much?

That's not something i'd think of for street use really, do you have a scan tool? do you know what the car's doing with the settings right now?

you CAN run 12s easily with stock turbo/injectors/ic - you already have the fuel and breathing.

Racegas is nice but do you want to pay $4 a gallon to drive around hoping you'll get a chance to race someone to justify it on the street? good.

You should have owned that mofo!

13s are for stock hotairs ;)
(im trying to get there still.. better said than done with a $0 budget (after parts/repairs/etc) :D)

Originally posted by rx4mike
Can someone give me some advice in laymans terms how I can lay da smack down on his candy a$$...lol. With what I have already installed in the car.

'87 ...9" K&N, Shift Kit, XP FP+HW,Billet AFP, Terry Houston 2.75" CAT Back, Thumb Wheel Chip, 2800 Stall,Stock turbo, injectors, 3" MAF Pipe, 160 Stat, More to list cant remember right now.

How much boost are you running? I would have to assume 14psi.

I heard that each additional pound of boost is good for approximately 10hp.

So bump the boost up to 19psi and you've got around an extra 50hp. That's like a small shot of nitrous (and you don't have a bottle that needs to be refilled all the time).

So he got you by a car length, huh? That means that per pound, he's got an approximate 10-hp advantage on you (assuming you went an entire quarter mile).

So if I were you I'd get an adjustable wastegate rod and turn up the boost. Get a boost gauge too if you already don't have one.

If you do crank the boost up, you'll need something better than 93 octane in most cases. Depends on what your coolant temp and the outside air temp is.

Got a Scanmaster or other data logging tool? You'll need one to see if you're getting an detonation.

The Thumb wheel is a nice chip to me. With pump gas I can setit up to a higher setting for mroe boost, timing advance,higher rpm's, etc... But I had it set to 94 Octance and with me bald tires and racing inexperience I got beat. I am hoping once it gets back from the paint shop it WILL have new tires on it as well that I will be able to finish hooking up my 30 lb PSI gauge getting it tuned in drop the pressure on the tires to about 22 and put some race gas in it and spank some a$$ like it was prom night!

Unfortunately I can't really get experience from racing outta just reading about it and having it just work when I try it. Everything is gonna come through trial and error.

Thanks Guys. The advice was and is Greatly appreciated!!

Rx4Mike

isn't a thumbwheel chip a bit much?

That's not something i'd think of for street use really, do you have a scan tool? do you know what the car's doing with the settings right now?

you CAN run 12s easily with stock turbo/injectors/ic - you already have the fuel and breathing.

Racegas is nice but do you want to pay $4 a gallon to drive around hoping you'll get a chance to race someone to justify it on the street? good.

You should have owned that mofo!

he said it was a 97 so thats an lt-1 car. i used to eat those cars up back when i was mostly stock. run some 26x9 hoosier quick time pros on stock gn rims. real stealthy and hook awsome. use good gas and turn up the boost and he'll see nothing but buick blowby.

I have an LS1 eater, see sig. I have embarassed lots of Ls1's but I agree, you will not hang with one of those cars with stock boost levels.

If you have $$$ to burn try a set of M&A heads, I hear they work pretty good

Re-focus

You got to get that power down to the ground first, if you're making 600 HP and you can't transfer the HP to the pavement you're wasting time. Start with the rear suspension $$$ wise and then work your way to the motor mods. Remember high school? The guy plunks big money into his motor and he's running a peg leg rear end, start at the back and go forward. - BB

It's easier than it seems

Really, you've got all you need right now unless - you don't have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, good sticky tires (which you said you'll get), an adjustable wastegate, a good boost gauge, a good fuel pressure gauge, a Scanmaster or comparable tuning tool, and most of all - experience.

You can have all the right parts in the right combination but if you can't launch or hook, you're doomed.

A '97 is an LT1 car. Even with what you have, IF you launch good, and IF you can hook, you should be able to take him - IF you've got enough boost.

Crank up the boost a little (maybe 16-18psi), put in some 100 Octane, make DAMN sure you have good fuel pressure for the boost, and rip him a new one. But practice your launches on good tires first. Too much boost + low traction tires = a loss.

You need the whole program and you're just about there. ;)

Thanks for all of the advice. I do have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator installed. I do have a 30 lb boost gauge waiting to be installed (currently getting repainted). I gotta get some tires on it. I do not have a scan tool. I would like to get one that has the option of plugging in a laptop or being independant.
This is the order it will fall:

#1. Install Boost gauge and adjust the boost accordingly.
#2. Put NEW tires that grab/hookup
#3. Get pozzy traction fixed (only hooking up on passenger side)
#4. Get tv cable and lockup switch replaced
#5. Put 5-8 Gallons of c16 in gas tank ($7 a gallon...OUCH)
#6. Go Purple TA hunting!
#7. Post my victory here!!!!!:D

The car should be ready from the paint shop on Monday. I may get them to put the tires on and an alignment while it is there. And If they can fix the pozzy unit maybe...FORD dealer ship I dont have much faith in em...but I like the painter's work.

Peace and Hair grease for now

Rx4Mike