I like boost discussions...

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from

I like boost discussions...and this guy puts down some pretty nifty ideas.

Not really
in the real world when the air gets denser the boost gauge will read higher.
The motor will require and use more fuel as well
Showing a gain in power.

Guys that are using the more sophisticated computer systems that already have the math calculations built in see this.

What kind of boost control your using on your wastegate will also show the behavior

Not really
in the real world when the air gets denser the boost gauge will read higher.
The motor will require and use more fuel as well
Showing a gain in power.
So if I use a Vacuum / Boost gauge hooked to my intake manifold, just how much heat am I introducing into my boost gauge to make it lie to me.To be honest, it doesn't feel like it's lying to me when I hit the throttle, or beating up a Dodge Hemi

So if I use a Vacuum / Boost gauge hooked to my intake manifold, just how much heat am I introducing into my boost gauge to make it lie to me.To be honest, it doesn't feel like it's lying to me when I hit the throttle, or beating up a Dodge Hemi
That's why that vid is not realistic to me as it is not in any real world conditions.
Air intake temps can be handled several different ways
Intercooler,methanol injection,water,etc.
in the world of co2 boost control our language is really not boost its.......
Dome pressure😉

just how much heat am I introducing into my boost gauge to make it lie to me.

It won't "make the gauge lie to you".
Boyles Law explains it.
Boyle’s law is a gas law which states that the pressure exerted by a gas (of a given mass, kept at a constant temperature) is inversely proportional to the volume occupied by it. In other words, the pressure and volume of a gas are inversely proportional to each other as long as the temperature and the quantity of gas are kept constant.
As boost stated, when the air becomes denser, as in cooler, the boost gauge will react with a higher reading.

Good explanation
I’m not the type to use a weather station before I take the car out…. But do note the ambient temp in my log book if a change is made
2-3 psi is about all I see with 20 - 30 degrees temp swings
( dry climate)

That boost gauge starts lyin
I’m turnin that boost knob

I built a spread sheet a number of years ago to ball park sizing stuff and to help gain insight in how the engine/fuel/turbo work together as a system. It is a steady state model with an engine characterized by VE, an intercooler characterized by a standard heat exchanger model with 3 equations and 3 unknowns, and a turbo characterized by a standard centrifugal compressor equation. It has a few of nodes and will calculate to convergence to balance flow from the turbo, the intercooler, and the engine based on the inputs. If it was calibrated with a dyno, it would probably give good results within a reasonable window of changes.
It assumes linear relationships between temperature and density, which I don’t think is 100% correct. Makes other very basic assumptions for airflow through the intercooler, does not account for any transient in metal temp of the intercooler or changes in airflow based on vehicle speed, basic BSCF assumption, and so forth.
The Banks guy seems to be making click bate titles the info is not wrong, the boost gauge is just one piece of info, but once you have a car sorted out, assuming no malfunctions and you are operating in a reasonable space for your equipment along with knowing ambient conditions the boost gauge is pretty good indicator from that point, at least IMHO. Plus, an engine is an open system, not closed like a metal box.
The example given is for illustrative purposes only just to show effects of charge temperature based on the intercooler and based on compressor efficiency. The changes are so large that I would only look them to get an idea of what could be going on. In reality, these extremes would turn the engine into a grenade.

1695507224334.png

1695507310684.png

1695507343543.png

1695507399701.png

see, lots of good solid knowledge out there if you ask and pay attention.