I put this on wrong thread. Sorry I'm new!

GNnorth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to say hi to everyone.

Brief history of me and my car so you know why I am just now joining the forums:

I own an '85 GN that I ordered new from the factory back in '85 and it arrived with 3 miles on it, (turbo test at the factory), but me and my family have put on the last 247,001 miles. The plan was to reach 50,000 miles and park it but the wife started college, then I started college. We needed two cars and since the money was short we had to drive the GN. It was an 80 mile round trip so the miles stacked up.
My two kids learned to drive in the National as well as took their drivers test in it. They got to take it to school once and awhile as well as my son taking on dates. The car has a lot of family history and is more a family member than a car.
After I finished college I went to work for Polaris Industries to design engines for their ATVs, Snowmobiles, Watercraft, and Victory engines and the GN found a quite spot in the shop at home. The plan was for me and the kids, when the money got clear (Two college loans), to restore the car back to as close to new as we could. Over the years she had earned some small battle wounds and worn interior. They would then, someday, be co-owners. This was their idea not mine so selling the car is not an option.
However last March my son died of cancer after fighting it for 5 months, and it was a horrible battle. He left his 8 year old son without a father and that was the only thing he worried about during his illness. So now me and my daughter are starting to work on the car so that someday his son can take his driver's test in the same car as his dad. What a great car to learn top drive in!
The thing I'm up against is securing a good turbo for this year without breaking the bank so if anyone knows of one I'd be grateful.

I did say brief history right? Sorry this is so long but I've been waiting a long time for the day I would bring this car back.

Sorry to hear about your son. And yes this would be a great car to learn to drive in. A stock hot air turbo shouldn't be too hard to find and I'm sure there are members here that can help you find one. The other option would be to have yours rebuilt to factory specs. Check out the vendor section and I'm sure you can find a good source for that. While you are in the rebuilding mode you may think about upgrading a few things like the ignition parts and fuel pump. If you have to replace them anyway that is, it wouldn't be that great of an expense to upgrade. Read alot in this forum. There is a ton of great info and great people to share it. Welcome to the community.
Steve

well sir, that is quite a history! You have to keep the car and I like where you are going with this. I'm very sorry about your son but it sounds like he had a great Dad as well to help him! I have the 85 WH1 T-Type that my Dad ordered new, I took my drivers test in the 83 T-Type that he had before the 85 so I can relate a little. The guys here should be able to help out a lot, finding a stock turbo should not be that hard either.
Put a little more info in your profile such as first name and where you are located too, you never know when a member might be close by and can lend a hand!

Thanks for the thoughts! I'll check the vendor section out.

This car has set too long so it is time to get going.

Sounds like i'm in the right place.

You surely are in the right place. My first car was an 84 GN. My soon to be father in law is fighting cancer right now and I am restoring his 87 GN for him. I have had 6 Turbo Regal cars in my short life and have used GBODYPARTS for 90% of what I have needed. They will have probably everything you could ever need. The plus side is that you can buy new or used stuff. It will do you well to call them with a list and have it priced:)

If you're capable of rebuilding the turbo youself send me a PM and I can send you a link to a rebuild kit. I replied on the other thread you started but I figured that 2 wouldn't matter.

Thanks Justin and sorry about future Father-in-law. Hope he is there for his first grandkid because they are great.

Welcome aboard!! Sorry to here about your son. Alot of good people on here to help you and your daughter out with questions. GBodyparts.com will have reproduction upholstery for your seats and other items you will need as well.

Sorry to hear about your son. I'm sure you'll find something here, and somebody to help you out.

bittersweet story , sorry about your son as others have said.

I have seen your vintage turbo's recently in the northeast for $250 obo - dont know if thats good or not but if its in the budget I will get you some links just pm me.

btw love to see the miles on it - the true test of a car is its ability to transport its owner & family safely with little need for repairs.

if it can do all that and do it with style & power its good in my book :cool:

Just a thought that may help. Post a list of everything you need here on this thread and in the parts wanted section. If you need help with anything post in the general tech section or even the midwest section. Posting in the midwest section will help you find TR enthusiasts near you. Sounds like you have a very solid and reliable GN. Good luck with your restoration. It always ends up being a little more work than what it seems but believe me the satisfaction of have it like new or better than new will far outweigh the labor spent on it.