I think my converter went bad??

You could also look into Pro Torque. Several vendors sell them too.

You read my mind!

I got an IM from a supporting vendor (David Husek) offering to help me with one of these converters. I'm currently reading some threads about them now. He's recommending a 9.5 with billet cover. I can't say enough about a guy who's willing to go after my business. I tried two other places today and one was a vendor here and neither called me back or answered the phone when I called them back.

I close at 5:30 pm and I didn't leave work until 7:30 because I had to follow up to do. Being busy is great but not following up doesn't work for me. Business is too hard to come by these days.

My Pats LU is doing the same thing. It made a whining noise when put in gear only. I took the car out tonight for a 27# pull in 3rd and it did not like it. Converter is now making the same noise as yours. Makes a different rattle kind of noise in P and N. My trans temps rise and my fan isn't kicking on. That tells me the pump is fried... Over the winter I plan on a built trans with PTC non lock. I drive my car to the track 45 minutes each way and to work occasionally. I can live without the LU. I miss my old AC 16930. That was a damn good converter with that TE60.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Hows your fluid look? Mine looks fine and I have an oversize tranny pan and an external cooler. Tranny shifts fine so hopefully I didn't hurt anything else.

Fluid looks fine. clear red. Has a hint of funky smell but not burnt clutch smell. It also shifts fine 1-2 but flares into 3rd under boost. I'll be pulling it out here soon.

You both make good points. I do want a lock up converter for street duty. Don't know that I will lock up a multidisc at the track but want the option for down the road. I only want to do this once. I would rather over build it.

The tranny has been rebuilt with the good stuff so if I decide to lock it up in 3rd it should hold.

The reason the tranny had to be rebuilt is because the PO locked the Pats converter up with the chip and smoked the tranny. I'll have to look at the receipts again but I believe the Pats converter was freshened up before he took the tranny out meaning if the Pats converter is single disc it may have hurt the converter at that time and I managed to finally break it. If I could get ahold of Pats I could find out what converter I actually have? I know stall speed and it's 10" but that's it. The car went 80 mph in the 1/8 and 100 mph in the quarter so I'm wondering if the converter was getting weak hence my horrible ET and MPH. I know I have some tuning to do with my combo and I was only running 18 psi but the car was still slow.

The shifts are firm and precise so I'm not too worried about the tranny at this point.

I'm going to do my homework and get the best converter available for my set up and future goals.

I think if you're really set on never locking at the strip, I'd look seriously at the ptc. Hard to beat for the money. I have no experience with protorque, so I'm very interested in your results if you go that route. What kind of pricing are they quoting you?

I think if you're really set on never locking at the strip, I'd look seriously at the ptc. Hard to beat for the money. I have no experience with protorque, so I'm very interested in your results if you go that route. What kind of pricing are they quoting you?

Here's the prices, he's recommending #2

1 - 9.5" Standard unit, which is the same as every other 10" advertised. $450.00

2 - 9.5" Standard with billet cover, this is the same converter as the standard, but has a billet cover and larger clutch for improved clutch life and converter rigidity. $650.00

3 - 9.5" Pro with Billet Cover , billet damper, over sized clutch, very efficient, similar to the non-locks $950.00

I'm going to talk with him tomorrow and also call TSI in Chicago who built my tranny and see if it will hold if I decide to lock up.

If the car goes 11.10 then the lock would be nice to get me in the 10's. If the car goes 11.5's then who cares. 11.5 is as good as 11.3 and I'd call it a day.

I did not call you back today but from our conversation you had to have a 3000 stall single disc converter by Friday which means I have to have it ready by Wednesday so it can be 2 day shipped to you. There are currently 30 converters in front of you so i have to sort through all of them to try and expedite yours. I found one customer who wasn't in a hurry so I swapped your orders around. If you have changed your mind and plan to think this through a little longer then I will need to cancel your order. I was going to call you in the morning for billing info when I had nailed down a sure delivery time. I'll be glad to cancel the order if you plan to do some more research. Everyone here is correct in the thinking that its best not to rush this, do it once and get exactly what fits your needs.

Not going to make it this weekend but we are on for the 6th.

David Husek is getting my converter built. I should have it next Wed or so. It's something he designed for me so I'm looking forward to getting it.

Long story on getting the tranny gone through but I will tell you about that next weekend.

I wish I could be there this weekend but I wanted David to do my converter after doing my research.

Come to find out I broke the sprag in the converter and the overdrive clutch. Not sure how I broke the sprag exactly but it was the converter causing my problems in the video. Just not clear how long the converter was weak but after I put Davids converter in I'll have a good comparison.

The new converter will be trick!

If I get a chance I will drive up and watch the races Sunday.

If I don't see you good luck!

Brett

David Husek is getting my converter built. I should have it next Wed or so. It's something he designed for me so I'm looking forward to getting it.

Long story on getting the tranny gone through but I will tell you about that next weekend.

I wish I could be there this weekend but I wanted David to do my converter after doing my research.

Come to find out I broke the sprag in the converter and the overdrive clutch. Not sure how I broke the sprag exactly but it was the converter causing my problems in the video. Just not clear how long the converter was weak but after I put Davids converter in I'll have a good comparison.

Brett

Thanks! I cleared it with the wife twice that I'm racing on the 6th too weather permitting and good luck, knock on wood, on Sunday.

Brett

Looking forward to hearing how this rebuild performs.

Just got the converter today, putting tranny in tonight. If all goes well I will be there. I will post update tonight.

The tranny is back in and working great.

Going to do some driving today after work and make sure everything is up to snuff. Haven't really had a chance to test out the new torque converter from Dave Husek but the one run I did do last night tells me this converter is doing what Dave built it to do. It's a 3250 stall and couples at 4800 rpm. I can already tell that it's holding way better than the old converter in the higher rpm's.

Now I need to get my RLC boost control on today and get it dialed in. Then it's off to Earlville tomorrow to do some runs.

The tranny is back in and working great.

Going to do some driving today after work and make sure everything is up to snuff. Haven't really had a chance to test out the new torque converter from Dave Husek but the one run I did do last night tells me this converter is doing what Dave built it to do. It's a 3250 stall and couples at 4800 rpm. I can already tell that it's holding way better than the old converter in the higher rpm's.

Now I need to get my RLC boost control on today and get it dialed in. Then it's off to Earlville tomorrow to do some runs.

Great! See you tomorrow.