I thought i'd share some info

VKREGAL

Ok guys, i got my car running with the Edelbrock 204/214 cam and lifter kit and Edelbrock 4 barrel combo. (I also have Hedman headers with a short glasspack dual exhaust unistalled because i needed to get the car running to bring it up to our lift to do it.) Anyway before my build i've heard many say that if your running a cam over 420" lift you have to cut the valve guides to avoid them hitting. The Edelbrock cam is 448"/472", my father questioned the info on account of the edelbrock performer is supposed to be a street cam, and would have to mention something like that and likely wouldn't make a cam that requires that. So we called edelbrock and they said it is not required and we shouldn't have anything to worry about. Being they said this we went on with the build without cutting the valveguides. To shorten up the story we got it together did the 30 mins of breaking in at 2000-2500 rpm that the instructions require and it runs like a clock. It fired right up, didn't stall once or anything. Edelbrock requires in the instructions that the lifters not be pre-loaded and let them do it on their own. Did some of you guys pre-load your lifters? This may have caused hitting the valve guides? I know this is a long thread but i thought this would be important to be discussed. :smile:

I did some measurements a while ago and posted them in the engine section. Do a search under my name and you can find it. It's late and if you don't find it I'll see if I can post it for you tomorrow.

thanks for those links, i went through and read them. i kinda had the idea that most feel it's absolutley necessary to have the valve guide's cut for a cam over .420". To be honest it had me worried in the back of my mind lol

From what I remember the concensus was a max of about .455 before you run into problems. As far as finding the threads, I needed to do some cleaning of my subscriptions and added some folders to seperate out the ones I need to find easier. Pain in the but and it's done now so I can find things a little easier now if someone needs a link.

cool, im just happy it's running good. The engine was always good,but it sounds a little bit smoother now. Thanks for the info