I try and try, but I keep thinking TE-44 or TA-49, lol.

Project TNX

I finally got off my lazy butt and resumed work on my car after a long winter lull and I'm right back to the same old questions I had before, should I go 44, 49, or GT6131. :tongue:

I'm getting it up and running with the stocker in place, but have every intention of buying one of the 3 I mentioned. But this isn't even an advice thread as much it is just a rant that I'm stuck in the past on my turbo preference. The TA-49 seems to be the front runner, just because I know them the best, they look stock, and they are still THE turbo in my mind. Then I start thinking about spool up and streetability and the GT6131 starts to win out, and then I go back and forth and crack open a Coor's Light, lol.:D

Reading your sig, why not a bigger turbo? You could work with a 67. Tons of power, and with the right convertor, will spool nicely

Reading your sig, why not a bigger turbo? You could work with a 67. Tons of power, and with the right convertor, will spool nicely

I have no desire to ever go out of that streetability range of mid 11's and I should be there with the stocker on, or damn close, the only reason I am upgrading is to go fast with less heat and stress.

I'd go with a small 60 series BB or DBB turbo, Turbonetics or Garrett.

And keep your converter.

Do it once and it should be both fast and streetable. :cool:

same old questions I had before, should I go 44, 49, or GT6131. :tongue:

but have every intention of buying one of the 3 I mentioned.

But this isn't even an advice thread as much it is just a rant that I'm stuck in the past on my turbo preference. The TA-49 seems to be the front runner, just because I know them the best, they look stock, and they are still THE turbo in my mind. Then I start thinking about spool up and streetability and the GT6131 starts to win out, and then I go back and forth and crack open a Coor's Light, lol.:D

I'm right there with you... I WOULD like some solid advice with regard to these three turbos. My car is stock - only mods are 2.5" catback, gutted cat, adj. FP reg and wastegate, 340 pump/hotwire, K&N, chip. I have a TH 3" SS downpipe I plan to install, and also intend to go with 60# mototrons and TT chip. Probably eventually alky later on. I DO NOT desire to change the converter. Will all three of these turbos work for me? Will the 6131 'spool like mad' with a setup like mine? Thanks guys!! :)

I'm right there with you... I WOULD like some solid advice with regard to these three turbos. My car is stock - only mods are 2.5" catback, gutted cat, adj. FP reg and wastegate, 340 pump/hotwire, K&N, chip. I have a TH 3" SS downpipe I plan to install, and also intend to go with 60# mototrons and TT chip. Probably eventually alky later on. I DO NOT desire to change the converter. Will all three of these turbos work for me? Will the 6131 'spool like mad' with a setup like mine? Thanks guys!! :)

I do have experience with the TA-49 and a stock converter and it was a little slow on the spool up. Felt like I was dragging an anchor. Had to go to a 2800 stall to get it to work. I would assume the te-44 would be the same. Never tried the 6131 with a stock converter.

Those are all too small. Rethink this and come back when you're ready.

You've got a good cam and 60# injectors... might as well make use of them.

All you're really lacking is a converter. Get that thing restalled and buy a 6776.

Though personally I'm not a fan of your IC choice, I'd rather run a V2 or a PTE front mount. :tongue:

project tnx,with the 2800 stall you could run the 44 or 49 with a tight housing for better spoolup.if you run the 6131 make sure it's dbb and to be honest i don't know if that would be lazy with the 2800,you could put the 44/49 on there with a garret .63 and i know it will work.the 61 cars i have been in have had the right converters with heads and cam to fully utilize the turbo's potential.i would hate to recommend the 6131dbb and have you not be happy and have to restall the converter,when i know the 44/49 garret .63 will work with your mods for half the price of the 6131dbb.perhaps those with a 6131dbb and a 2800 stall could chime in on that combo?

What are your goals? You will need a Garrett .63 exhasut housing if you want the fast spool up with a 12" converter. The Precision .63 housing will give up a lot with a 12". Otherwise they are all nearly equal till you run it hard at 24+psi. In that case the 6131 will make more power. Dont expect any gain one over the other under 24psi though. The 44 would be my choice since its the cheapest and least expensive to overhaul and it has always worked well. Just be sure its a .63 Garrett or it will suck.

My stall is a 10" and a 2800 stall is really rated at 2800-3000, at least I think, and I don't want to go higher. My goal is mid 11's, while retaining our highway mpg's while out off the throttle. I am building this car to drive on the street regularly with the occasional rural turbo boost, lol.

My stall is a 10" and a 2800 stall is really rated at 2800-3000, at least I think, and I don't want to go higher. My goal is mid 11's, while retaining our highway mpg's while out off the throttle. I am building this car to drive on the street regularly with the occasional rural turbo boost, lol.
If it goes to at 3000 at zero boost/vacuum then you could use any of those turbos with a precision .63 with no problem. For 11.50 the 44 is the most effective solution and it leaves a few hundred $ around for other mods.

I'd go with the TA-49 or the TE-44. They are capable of mid-elevens and are tried and proven, as well as cheap. They are reliable and will allow your engine to last longer than with the bigger turbos. I was told by an engine builder not to go bigger than these if you want the engine to last anywhere as long as stock and you street drive the car.