IBM Thinkpad problems W\DFI

quickt

My IBM Thinkpad 600X will no longer comunicate with my DFI. Was working perfect fro the last 6 months. Just pluged it in today and it will no longer connect. I have reloaded Calmap 6.32 etc. Still no good. I have checked the ECU with a 386 that I have and it connects and works perfect. Anyone have any problems like this with a IBM Thinkpad. Any Ideas?

Lonnie Diers

Yes, your ports probably have conflicting IRQ's or are disabled. I went in and removed all the ports from the computer by device manager. Then rebooted the computer, and let windows search for new ports. Seemed to work for me, and try disabling the infrared port. I spent 3 hours tryin to get my felpro to communicate, and accel, until i came up with this idea.

WHats it say when you go to device manager and COM ports, anything crossed out ? or have yellow warning signs.

norbs

Originally posted by norbs
Yes, your ports probably have conflicting IRQ's or are disabled. I went in and removed all the ports from the computer by device manager. Then rebooted the computer, and let windows search for new ports. Seemed to work for me, and try disabling the infrared port. I spent 3 hours tryin to get my felpro to communicate, and accel, until i came up with this idea.

WHats it say when you go to device manager and COM ports, anything crossed out ? or have yellow warning signs.

norbs

Nope everything is fine no warnings. I have used this laptop for the last 6 months since I bought it new. Just stopped comunicating with the DFI. Worked tue. wed. it would not connect. I did not even use the laptop between days. I did add 256meg ram but I have used the laptop many times for the DFI since.

Lonnie Diers

Does it use the parallel port to communicate with? It could have gone belly up, I've got a laptop with a bad parallel port. I used Ken Mosher's little executable that comes with Turbolink to check the port out, that's how I found my problems with that laptop and TLink and DS.

John

windows 98 crashed bad on my thinkpad last week... after the reboot it wouldn't talk to my felpro through the com port anymore... turns out that the bios had reset itself and the infrared port was using the default com1 irq/port... i had to go into the "thinkpad configuration" utility in windows and disable the infrared port and the go into the device manager and delete the com ports... on reboot, with the infrared disabled, the com port reassigned itself to the original irq/port... now it works again... could be something to check...

Jeff B is exactly right. I wish i would have figured it out after spending 3 hours guessing around. Maybe the computer has some other problem internally.

norbs

I finally got it. You guys were right the infra red port was a conflict with ser port. It did not show as one but it was. I deleted the ser port with the infra red disabled and rebooted. This did not work. I deleted Calmap and deleted the ser port with the infra red disabled and then rebooted and let the thinkpad set it up. Made sure the com port was com1 and then from DOS reinstalled the calmap software and now it works fine. Thanks everyone for driving the irq conflict home I did not think that was it but it was. Thanks again.

Lonnie Diers

Hey Lonnie, I am glad you figured this one out. I have lost alot of hair try to solve these problems with various laptops. What operating sys are you using? I have had the best luck using Win 95. Windows 98 and ME configure ports automatically and I haven't been able to get around it. Just curious.

Dave

I am using windows 98. It works good now. Turbodave will you e-mail me a copy of your dfi program I would like to compare it to mine. We are running about the same time i noticed in you sig.

Lonnie Diers

Having a simular problem on my IBM thinkpad 380xd, it has this silly utility and can't allow standard acess to bios. It seemed to work when i first got it, but now it even hangs up in DOS mode. I have win 98 on it running FAT32.

Did you guys actually get it to run under Windows, without restarting to DOS mode??

I really want to run under windows system so I can try to monitor the serial port. Hoping to make new windows software to replace calmap v6.32.

Your telling me you can't get in the bios on pressing F1 upon startup?

Yes I can do the F1 from startup, however you can't set anything from there, just run tests. It also lacks much of the proper info. It shows nothing about memory addresses and IRQ's. I set most of my stuff up from Win95 device manager, not sure if these setting stay the same when I boot to DOS.

I am sure I will get there some day !! C

The comport is probable being used by the infrared port , very common on thinkpads. YOu will have to go to device manager and disable the infrared device.

I thought I had it all sorted out, followed the instructions in the link. I deleted all ports in device manager. I disable serial port in the thinkpad utility, enabled the IR port. Then I changed the address on IR to com 4, then disabled the IR port. I enabled serial port and set it to com1. Looks like it all functions in device manager.

Still nothing, my old 386 works everytime. IBM sits and pouts, real bugger to get working. I have done this a lot int the DOS games, can't see the malfuntion??

Not sure , what your doing wrong, but i have 5 thinkpads here from p1 to p4 , and dfi works on each one, as long as you boot from dos, not windows!

Um I figured it out Norb, it was a bit confusing at first but now makes sense. In Win98 I was using the thinkpad utility to set IR and serial ports. I thought this set them up for DOS as well. I was wrong you have to use the DOS utility to set it up. After playing with the windows settings and setting the idle sensitivity setting to low, under the calmap shotcut. I got it to run under windows 98, I can alt-tab to other windows. SLICK !!!

Now I gotta start eacesdropping on the serial protocol, would love make it read directly into excel.

Really it's just an excerize in programming. Something to toy around with so I understand the basics of the whole system. The loggin speed of the DFI ecu isn't too terribly quick, so the info is a bit dodgy at best. Most of the real tuning will be logged through the LM-1. I may get to the point where logworks will automatically modify fuel tables for me, and loos the dos software all together.

That would be sweet, self learning ecu?