idea for wicked engine

tford

Registered Member
Sorry this is not a buick but I'd consider putting it in one. 4.2L in-line 6 from a Trailblazer with a turbo. Has anyone on here tried it? I'm curious. I've seen some videos and it is an awesome setup. What kind of major mods would I have to do. 10.3:1 compression too much for turbo charging? I'm not sure why GM isn't already doing this. If any of you guys with deep pockets want to try this setup, let me know how it goes. I'd love to do this some day. You can pick up the motor for next to nothing from a wrecked one. Lets hear it. Tim

yeah, does it count as a stage II?

Hell, I think it would be better & cheaper than a stage II setup.
So, I guess nobody but me is interested in this. I just thought it would be nice to be a little different. Just think seeing a gn or regal and hearing the scream of a straight six with turbo. I think the reaction would be :eek:

Hahn Racecraft was working on turbo setups for GM inline 5 (3.7L) and the inline 6 too. Nothing really came of it last I checked....

lots of maincaps on them inline engines... keeps the crank in the block better than a V.

I have seen that motor turbo'd to about 800hp with stock bottom end and ported stock head. They are very stout motors.

I wanted to put a 4.2 in my 67 Firebird but its just not reasonable for the money. The motors are cheap in the wrecking yards but there are a lot of obsticles to overcome. They have a unique bellhousing pattern so that the only option for a transmission is a 4l60E which I am not a fan of. I called every trans adapter company that I could find and no one was interested in making an adapter. The factory intake wont work due to hood clearance(it sticks up over the valve cover) so a custom intake needs to be fabricated. The electronics also pose a problem as the factory ECM can be tuned with HPTuners but the ECM has no capability to tune for boost. A few people have converted them over to Megasquirt but had to use a Ford wasted spark style coil pack and due away with coil on plug set up and the variable cam timing can't be used with the Megasquirt. I really wanted one in my Firebird but after looking into it I just didn't feel like it would be worth it especially after factoring in the price of the custom bottom end pieces(custome forged pistons would be about $900, and aftermarket rods would be custom also) needed to make the motor truly boost ready so my Firebird is getting a built LC2 instead.:D There are a few offroad guys running the motors N/A in racing applications and I called and talked to them and they said the realistic limit for the stock cast pistons and powdered metal rods is about 500HP. They said that in thier testing they were able to get more HP on the stock parts but the engine did not last long above that level.

inline 6

a couple of years back a guy did a turbo inline in a nova wagon and did
HOTROD drag week with it --- it was sick and i think in was well in the 9's