Idle RPM

I was wondering what everyone's RPM idle is. I am worried that mine is too high. Even after it gets warm it still runs a bit over 2000. I still have the stock tach gauge so it is not completely 100% accurate but it sounds too high. I have the car pretty much stock except for chip and 160 thermostat. What kind of idle speeds to you guys have?

Should be

2000 all the time is too high. 800 is correct after warm up. There is an adjustment screw but, I can remember where it is on the throttle body.

There is not and idle screw on your car what-so-ever. The computer controls everything through sensors. I suspect a vacuum leak. Spend several bucks on a can of carb cleaner. With the engine running spray all vacuum lines as well as around where the turbo goes into the intake. If the engine rpm changes at all-that is where your vacuum leak is. I also assume you have not thrown any check engine codes. Let know how you make out. Brad

Idle

check out:
http://www.geocities.com/rad87gn/tech/IACTPS.html

First, I would take the IAC sensor out and clean it. It's located under the throttle body(driver's side) it has a four prong connector. Be careful with the housing it's aluminum and will break. Clean it with some throttle body cleaner. It's a tapered rod with a spring. Could be mis-adjusted see link above. Vacuum leak. There is a idle screw but I am hesitant to recommend messing with it unless necessary.

Attachments

• IAC.JPG
    IAC.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 128
I agree

I found my GM shop book and it recommonds the same thing slow 85 has posted. If that still won't bring it down then you should use the adjustment screw ( and yes there is one). It is on the back of the throttle body right under the 3 vac lines. If it hasn't been adjusted it should have a gold colored rubber cap and takes a torx head driver.

Great, thanks for your help. I will try your suggestions and let you know if that solves my idle problem.