Idles like crud!

87SFI

I put a new cam in recently and the car runs great, but when it gets hot it idles like crap for a while and then it gets better and back to crap again. it;s not consistant. I triple checked all vacuum lines and sensors and can't find anything left dissconnected. It doesn't quite act like a bad iac cause I had one go bad before. What else could it be?

Thanks
George

Just had a similar thing with my car...

Check to see if the electric fan in on when your car starts running like crap. My car had this, although I think it was only when my scantool was plugged into the ALDL. The computer would go nuts, all the parameters went to wacky numbers, weird stuff.
Get it warmed up, pop the hood, wait for it to run like crap and see if the fan is on or off, same with when it goes back to idling normally.
Jeff

Re: Just had a similar thing with my car...

Originally posted by Jeff
Check to see if the electric fan in on when your car starts running like crap. My car had this, although I think it was only when my scantool was plugged into the ALDL. The computer would go nuts, all the parameters went to wacky numbers, weird stuff.
Get it warmed up, pop the hood, wait for it to run like crap and see if the fan is on or off, same with when it goes back to idling normally.
Jeff

I started the car this morning and it idles fine even when the fan kicks on. It happens about a half an hour of driving when it starts idling bad then good again. it stalled on me a couple times already when I tried to put it in gear. (hot)

:confused:

What are the IAC Counts when this "bad idle" is occuring?

How old is the MAF? have you tried to swap it with a known good one?