Idling Issues/Troubleshooting & Turbo Temp

Wiseman118

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post on the forum and I want to say Hello! I've been reading a lot of helpful info from this site, that everyone has been posting that has helped me troubleshoot but, I have a problem that I can't seem to resolve now. I have a 86 GN that I have completely rebuilt the engine from the ground up. I runs fine except, that it has an idle issue.

Issue 1) The engine will crank up fine and idle properly for about 2 mins or so, then the idle increases a tad. Then, when I put the car into gear and back into park, the idle ramps up very high. I have all new sensors on the engine, but have not adjusted the IAC yet. I checked the voltage on the TPS with a voltimeter and adjusted it to be 0.40V at idle. I am in the process of ordering a ScanMaster for the car, hopefully it will help. I do have a check engine light on in the car.

Issue 2) The car produces an EXTREMELY high amount of heat through the downpipe and the turbo is just as hot. It is scary, I don't know if it should be this way or if something is wrong. Note: I haven't driven the car yet, this is only at start-up and idling in park. (This is my first experience with a turbo, so I don't know what to expect) Can someone confirm that the turbo should be running this hot during idle? The temp gauge is fine and there are no coolant overheating issues.

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post on the forum and I want to say Hello! I've been reading a lot of helpful info from this site, that everyone has been posting that has helped me troubleshoot but, I have a problem that I can't seem to resolve now. I have a 86 GN that I have completely rebuilt the engine from the ground up. I runs fine except, that it has an idle issue.

Issue 1) The engine will crank up fine and idle properly for about 2 mins or so, then the idle increases a tad. Then, when I put the car into gear and back into park, the idle ramps up very high. I have all new sensors on the engine, but have not adjusted the IAC yet. I checked the voltage on the TPS with a voltimeter and adjusted it to be 0.40V at idle. I am in the process of ordering a ScanMaster for the car, hopefully it will help. I do have a check engine light on in the car.

Issue 2) The car produces an EXTREMELY high amount of heat through the downpipe and the turbo is just as hot. It is scary, I don't know if it should be this way or if something is wrong. Note: I haven't driven the car yet, this is only at start-up and idling in park. (This is my first experience with a turbo, so I don't know what to expect) Can someone confirm that the turbo should be running this hot during idle? The temp gauge is fine and there are no coolant overheating issues.
welcome aboard!!! as for your car dont try anything till you get the scanmaster and totally read the website on Turbo Regal Web Site it will tell you everything. adjust the tps for .44 at idle. be patient and wait for the scanner

First, welcome to TB.com! :cool:

Exhaust temp is much hotter than the actual motor temp. That sound pretty normal.

The code may shed some light on the high idle issue. Do you know how to get it without a scantool? This should help. Malfunction Codes Reference

Thanks QUIP'6, I will be patient and wait for the scan tool to arrive. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

First, welcome to TB.com! :cool:

Exhaust temp is much hotter than the actual motor temp. That sound pretty normal.

The code may shed some light on the high idle issue. Do you know how to get it without a scantool? This should help.

welcome aboard!!! as for your car dont try anything till you get the scanmaster and totally read the website on it will tell you everything. adjust the tps for .44 at idle. be patient and wait for the scanner

The code may shed some light on the high idle issue. Do you know how to get it without a scantool? This should help. QUOTE]

Thanks for responding TurboBuRick. The link is going to be very helpful. In Step 3, when they mention the "Service Engine Light Soon" will flash Code 12, is the actual "number 12" going to flash three ties or do I count the number of times that the Engine Light flashes?

Pretaining to my previous exhaust temp question, I noticed that the turbo has a very small amount of steam coming from it after is runs for 5 mins or so. Is this normal? It is a brand new TA-61 turbo. Is there a way I can check it to make sure it is getting oil?

Thanks for responding TurboBuRick. The link is going to be very helpful. In Step 3, when they mention the "Service Engine Light Soon" will flash Code 12, is the actual "number 12" going to flash three ties or do I count the number of times that the Engine Light flashes?

Yes, you have to count the blinks....The SES lite will flash code 12 (3) times, followed by each individual malfunction code 3 times, followed by code 12 (3) more times.... code 12 basically means the self-diagnostic mode is operable and functioning....

On the SES, code 12 will be 'blink.....blink/blink'.... ie... '1' (pause) '2'

same thing for other codes...

code 24 = 'blink/blink......blink/blink/blink/blink'.....

each code is repeated 3 times....

have a pencil/paper ready to scribble.... :)

Also, would be willing to bet that the turbo is not 'steaming'... probably has a slight oil weep that is smoking a bit when it gets hot... or being brand new, maybe it just has a little machine oil/coating on it that is slowly burning off and will soon quit....