I'm pulling heads... best head gaskets?

tpabayflyer

I hear the cometics are really nice but I don't know if I really need them. I have a stock 135K mile engine and there is a bunch of carbon behind the intake valves so I will pull the heads today.
I plan on using the stock valves with bowl porting by me and a good 3 angle valve job with the intakes backcut. I am not a big racer but I plan on getting into the high 11sec range with a TE-44 boosting around 23psi on alky. I have a few questions....

What fel-pro gasket do I use or get the cometic????

Use new larger valves?? what size (must use stock seat)

What arp head bolts do I use? (can't re-use stockers I guess)

I need to get a new set of lifters.. what brand??
( I had a lifter collapse... stock cam/valvetrain)

I recently made some upgrades that included the HV timing cover and I'm thinking the 70 psi oil pressure was a little much for the 18 year old stock lifters?? Any advice on removeing/replaceing the heads would be aprreciated. TIA TBF

I have all the same questions as you...

My winter project is almost identical!

I'll keep an eye on this post:D

Call CHampion or Nick Micale and buy the cometics, Its obvious that you beat your car a little if it has alky and a te44.Just make sure to buy a can of permatex spray copper and apply it to both sides of the gasket.
Dont reuse the stocker bolts get arp bolts or studs

Im with Otto besides the spray,they reccomend you install them dry.If they seep,throw some stop leak in there.Comectics are great HG's,just pricey.

Originally posted by tpabayflyer
I hear the cometics are really nice but I don't know if I really need them. I have a stock 135K mile engine and there is a bunch of carbon behind the intake valves so I will pull the heads today.
I plan on using the stock valves with bowl porting by me and a good 3 angle valve job with the intakes backcut. I am not a big racer but I plan on getting into the high 11sec range with a TE-44 boosting around 23psi on alky. I have a few questions....

What fel-pro gasket do I use or get the cometic????

Use new larger valves?? what size (must use stock seat)

What arp head bolts do I use? (can't re-use stockers I guess)

I need to get a new set of lifters.. what brand??
( I had a lifter collapse... stock cam/valvetrain)

I recently made some upgrades that included the HV timing cover and I'm thinking the 70 psi oil pressure was a little much for the 18 year old stock lifters?? Any advice on removeing/replaceing the heads would be aprreciated. TIA TBF

With your setup, I'd feel comfortable recommeding FelPro 9441PT's

For your power level use the felpros. I've never had a probelm with them and have used them in 10 sec cars, and you'll save some money too.

Originally posted by KLHAMMETT
Call CHampion or Nick Micale and buy the cometics, Its obvious that you beat your car a little if it has alky and a te44.Just make sure to buy a can of permatex spray copper and apply it to both sides of the gasket.
Dont reuse the stocker bolts get arp bolts or studs

Man.. I have babied this thing all its life!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I don't have the alky yet but plan on it soon.. I just put the TE-44 on it 80 miles ago and ran a stock turbo and replacement for its 135k miles...... I have actually decided to just put some new lifters in and put it back together. I will do the heads later on, probably this winter. I need to get this car back in my garage as it is in secure storage about 40 miles away.

I did go to NAPA and pick up a new set of lifters and valley pan as well.... I had to buy 1 pushrod as the collapsed lifter beat on the end a little and it had some stress cracks in it. What is the part number for the ARP bolts??? Can I get them from summitt??? I'm leaning towards using the fel-pro gaskets and thinking about ordering up a set ........ TBF

Re: Re: I'm pulling heads... best head gaskets?

Originally posted by TurboDave
With your setup, I'd feel comfortable recommeding FelPro 9441PT's
Felpro's web site lists 2 head gasket #s for turbo 3.8L:

9441PT
9441B

What's the difference :confused:

The PT stands for "perma torque". They have a sort of sticky feel on both sides of the gasket. I feel they seal exceptionally well.

And unless you do something really stupid (don't ask), they'll take some incredibly insane abuse.